Thread: The World cup chit chat thread

Former Pubs Galore Coder

One I got from Trainman:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	optical..jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	309

I quiet liked the one they showed on the TV after the match with the curvy goal line, can't find it anywhere now though.

Funny thing, that 'goal'. Has anyone else noticed that every time you see a new graphic the ball gets ever closer to the back of the net..........
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by runningdog View Post
    Funny thing, that 'goal'. Has anyone else noticed that every time you see a new graphic the ball gets ever closer to the back of the net..........
    Nope. Just the same valid goal, the same distance over the line as when I dashed round the Crosse Keys in celebration, only to return to my seat in despair at officiating blindness!

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Nope. Just the same valid goal, the same distance over the line as when I dashed round the Crosse Keys in celebration, only to return to my seat in despair at officiating blindness!
    Oh, no arguments there, it was in, but the ref sez ,no goal, so a goal it will never be. The best argument for goalline technolgy is that, almost certainly, neither ref nor linesman would have been able to see it. Match referees, as in rugby or cricket, would also have been able to make the right decision.
    Any road up, we simply weren't good enough on the day. Somethin a bit deeper than blaming the ref or Blatter needs to be done. Central contracts might help, but how we get anythin like that past the Premier League I have no idea..............I need a drink
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Former Pubs Galore Coder

The phantom goal is definitely just one of those things, it doesn't really happen that often.

I would be happy to have goal line technology that allows the referee to hear a buzz, but it wouldn't of solved Tevez's offside goal, I don't fancy the idea of pausing the game to allow for a 5th official to have a quick look at the match video. And there is the old thing about the games played in the Premiership are played with the same technology as a Sunday league match, which I think is good.

At last a half time/ full time reversal. I thought it was going to go all the way through without one. 45-1 as well. Only £70 down now.
    From the home of the kebab of doom

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossste View Post
    At last a half time/ full time reversal. I thought it was going to go all the way through without one. 45-1 as well. Only £70 down now.
    45/1 was a good price, and well done for having the bottle to keep this going. I remember when 28/1 both ways was the norm or you'd get 33/1 one way and 25/1 the other. What I'm now seeing is prices around the 20/1 - 25/1 mark, stingy old bookies.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crossste View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    45/1 was a good price
    Yes, I was thinking you must have been suffering Crossste, so well done for getting one in at last. Agree with Millay, surprisingly good price on the reversal for that game.

I think Holland h/t Brazil f/t was about 25/1 so it was the best way round for me.

Tonight's odds are Paraguay h/t Spain f/t 25/1 the reversal being 50/1 but i cant see that happening.

At the start of the World Cup Paddy Powers odds were about the best so i just stuck with them rather than checking odds elsewhere for every match.
    From the home of the kebab of doom