Ads not shown when logged in
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Pubs Galore - the next crawl (Stockport, Autumn 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Leave 'Spoons at 11:20ish
    11:25 Queens Head
    11:50 Swan with Two Necks
    12:15 Remedy
    12:55 Railway (Portwood)
    13:25 Arden Arms
    14:10 Petersgate Tap
    14:55 Fairway
    15:40 Hope Inn
    16:30 Magnet
    17:25 Olde Vic

This is just a guide, I'm sure it won't be anything like this on the day, or once train tickets start to be bought. And no, I'm not going to stand around in each pub chivvying people to drink up and get moving.

If I've made any stupid mistakes or if anyone is desperately unhappy about anything to do with the route, please let me know in the gentlest and politest way you possibly can.

Cheers
    Just a thought Will.

Would we not be better going to the Railway after the Swan With Two Necks then the Arden and then Remedy?

I don't think there's as many hills that way.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Just a thought Will.

Would we not be better going to the Railway after the Swan With Two Necks then the Arden and then Remedy?

I don't think there's as many hills that way.
    Whatever! There's no compulsion to all go the same way - I never do when someone else has done the route. In fact, it would probably be better if we don't all pile into the Arden Arms at the same time anyway.

I must admit I don't pay much attention to hills.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    OK, here goes. As requested, I've done some trimming to the list, which as Old Boots suggested was becoming a little bit unmanageable. I've designated 10 mainstream pubs, nine wild cards and the Wetherspoons as a meeting place for those that like to do breakfast. (I've dropped Blossoms as there were already lots of Robinsons pubs on the list.)

The attached spreadsheet shows some of the criteria, but a few words of explanation might help. I've relegated the Crown to a wild card in light of the bad experience had by Nev and his crew in July (though as it will be passed on the longish walk between the Magnet and the Olde Vic, I guess it would be rude not to pop our heads round the door). The Nursery has also been wild carded as it adds more walking to what already looks like being a four mile route. Interestingly, the mainstream pubs average 8 points from PuG reviewers, the wild carders 7 points (and would have been lower as the Crown and the Nursery bump the average up considerably). Before anyone shouts about using the scores like this, I would like to point out that I did the mainstream/wild card process before looking at the scores on PuG.

The attached walking route does a little bit of criss-crossing in the town centre - this is to avoid doing too many Robinsons pubs close together in sequence. The bus is involved for getting from the Fairway to the Hope Inn, and is an option for getting from the town centre to the Fairway, so you might want to book Plus Bus when you get your train tickets. I haven't included walking directions for the Nursery, the Alexandra or the Armoury - the other wild cards are all passed along the main route, so it's easy for anyone who wants to tick them off to pop in for a swift half. (The Nursery is a fairly easy walk from the Hope. The Alex and the Armoury are not far from the station, so easy enough for anyone - like me - who wants to tick them off to work out their own route.)

I don't know what time people are looking to get started on this crawl (no one so far has said what times their trains arrive!). With sunset being at 16:08 I thought an early start might be good, so I thought it might go something like this:

Leave 'Spoons at 11:20ish
    11:25 Queens Head
    11:50 Swan with Two Necks
    12:15 Remedy
    12:55 Railway (Portwood)
    13:25 Arden Arms
    14:10 Petersgate Tap
    14:55 Fairway
    15:40 Hope Inn
    16:30 Magnet
    17:25 Olde Vic

This is just a guide, I'm sure it won't be anything like this on the day, or once train tickets start to be bought. And no, I'm not going to stand around in each pub chivvying people to drink up and get moving.

If I've made any stupid mistakes or if anyone is desperately unhappy about anything to do with the route, please let me know in the gentlest and politest way you possibly can.

Cheers
    Hats off for the work you have put in to that. Could I hire you the next time I am planning a pub crawl ?

I am a salmon !!

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    Hats off for the work you have put in to that. Could I hire you the next time I am planning a pub crawl ?
    Come On You Hatters!

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I am pleased to report that the apparent demise of the Crown was, hopefully, just a blip. Four different beers all thoroughly pulled through and served in fine fettle yesterday, ~12:15.
    I do wish that pubs with so many lines would dedicate one to a more classic (copper) style bitter to cater for different tastes. Poor Jonesey struggled throughout the day with golden/pale overkill.
    We did the day on foot apart from a taxi from Porters Railway to Olde Vic (£3.50) which worked well, though admittedly we missed the Fairway. If only we hadn't spent so long in the Hat Museum..!!
    Last edited by trainman; 22-10-2017 at 11:25.

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

I'll be coming along to this one, and Mrs A will also be there - no doubt to make sure I get home in one piece!
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

I'm booked, with a cheeky stop-off at Stafford the night before to tick a few!

Unlikely for me, having trouble getting the day off work.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

I'm booked also, to do an up and down on the day..

Should arrive around 11.00AM for the early Spoons nosh and am on the 8.00PM back to avoid having to leave early and miss anything , and to be honest it was the cheapest option at the time..
    So I'm fine for a bit of drinking in the dark if we want to extend with the Crown and the wildcards near the station..
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    So I'm fine for a bit of drinking in the dark if we want to extend with the Crown and the wildcards near the station..
    That was always the plan. The timings given before were just to show that it could be done by tea-time for anyone needing to catch an earlier train.

Glad you can make it!
    Come On You Hatters!