Ads not shown when logged in
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Pubs Galore - the next crawl (Stockport, Autumn 2017)

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I had a Travelodge discount code ('AUTUMNSTAYS') which was supposed to expire last week, but tried it and it worked. Had intended to look at the price for the one at Parrs Wood, but the one nr Heaton La. was cheaper - with code, £38 for 'family room' (as they don't offer twins).
    Re the route, I never usually advocate this, but consideration might be given for a taxi from one of the lower locations to the higher, eg Railway... to Olde Vic (depending on running order)

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Re the route, I never usually advocate this, but consideration might be given for a taxi from one of the lower locations to the higher, eg Railway... to Olde Vic (depending on running order)
    Or there are buses. This free one (see attached document) might be useful but only runs every 15 minutes and only really covers the town centre, which is walkable.

I've been working on a route and will publish it shortly.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Come On You Hatters!

OK, here goes. As requested, I've done some trimming to the list, which as Old Boots suggested was becoming a little bit unmanageable. I've designated 10 mainstream pubs, nine wild cards and the Wetherspoons as a meeting place for those that like to do breakfast. (I've dropped Blossoms as there were already lots of Robinsons pubs on the list.)

The attached spreadsheet shows some of the criteria, but a few words of explanation might help. I've relegated the Crown to a wild card in light of the bad experience had by Nev and his crew in July (though as it will be passed on the longish walk between the Magnet and the Olde Vic, I guess it would be rude not to pop our heads round the door). The Nursery has also been wild carded as it adds more walking to what already looks like being a four mile route. Interestingly, the mainstream pubs average 8 points from PuG reviewers, the wild carders 7 points (and would have been lower as the Crown and the Nursery bump the average up considerably). Before anyone shouts about using the scores like this, I would like to point out that I did the mainstream/wild card process before looking at the scores on PuG.

The attached walking route does a little bit of criss-crossing in the town centre - this is to avoid doing too many Robinsons pubs close together in sequence. The bus is involved for getting from the Fairway to the Hope Inn, and is an option for getting from the town centre to the Fairway, so you might want to book Plus Bus when you get your train tickets. I haven't included walking directions for the Nursery, the Alexandra or the Armoury - the other wild cards are all passed along the main route, so it's easy for anyone who wants to tick them off to pop in for a swift half. (The Nursery is a fairly easy walk from the Hope. The Alex and the Armoury are not far from the station, so easy enough for anyone - like me - who wants to tick them off to work out their own route.)

I don't know what time people are looking to get started on this crawl (no one so far has said what times their trains arrive!). With sunset being at 16:08 I thought an early start might be good, so I thought it might go something like this:

Leave 'Spoons at 11:20ish
    11:25 Queens Head
    11:50 Swan with Two Necks
    12:15 Remedy
    12:55 Railway (Portwood)
    13:25 Arden Arms
    14:10 Petersgate Tap
    14:55 Fairway
    15:40 Hope Inn
    16:30 Magnet
    17:25 Olde Vic

This is just a guide, I'm sure it won't be anything like this on the day, or once train tickets start to be bought. And no, I'm not going to stand around in each pub chivvying people to drink up and get moving.

If I've made any stupid mistakes or if anyone is desperately unhappy about anything to do with the route, please let me know in the gentlest and politest way you possibly can.

Cheers
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Come On You Hatters!

Despite BF's unfortunate experience, I would be mortified if anyone visited Stockport and did not include the Crown on their route.
    That said, I can hopefully provide an update in a couple of weeks...

Despite BF's unfortunate experience, I would be mortified if anyone visited Stockport and did not include the Crown on their route.
    That said, I can hopefully provide an update in a couple of weeks...
    I agree, it's been a must-visit for me too. But Nev's description makes it look like the Crown has lost custom to the Magnet and maybe some others, and now the stuffing has been knocked out of the place. I hope you find otherwise.
    Come On You Hatters!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I don't know what time people are looking to get started on this crawl (no one so far has said what times their trains arrive!). With sunset being at 16:08 I thought an early start might be good, so I thought it might go something like this:

Leave 'Spoons at 11:20ish
    11:25 Queens Head
    11:50 Swan with Two Necks
    12:15 Remedy
    12:55 Railway (Portwood)
    13:25 Arden Arms
    14:10 Petersgate Tap
    14:55 Fairway
    15:40 Hope Inn
    16:30 Magnet
    17:25 Olde Vic

Cheers
    That's an amazing amount of hard work,very many thanks and it looks a great route.

I arrive at 10.55 and will depart on the 20.04 ,so I'll be heading straight to the 'spoons to line the stomach !

Lets hope trainman has a better experience in The Crown,the location and interior make it worthy of a visit alone.I may have just been very unlucky on the night.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Just to advise that the route between the two most distant pubs, Hope & Fairway is downhill to Hope, uphill the other way, so a 191/192 from Hope to Fairway, then a walk down from there to Olde Vic would remove the rather punishing uphill walk from Heaton Norris (or Crown) to Olde Vic.
    Not trying to tread on any toes, just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    That's an amazing amount of hard work,very many thanks and it looks a great route.
    Thanks! It did take a few hours, but luckily I enjoy doing this sort of thing.
    Come On You Hatters!

Just to advise that the route between the two most distant pubs, Hope & Fairway is downhill to Hope, uphill the other way, so a 191/192 from Hope to Fairway, then a walk down from there to Olde Vic would remove the rather punishing uphill walk from Heaton Norris (or Crown) to Olde Vic.
    Not trying to tread on any toes, just saying...
    I hear what you're saying Jim, but I think the hill is not as daunting as you imagine, at least it won't be once you've got a few beers inside you. Also, to my way of thinking, the final part of the route from the Hope, via the Magnet and (almost certainly) also the Crown makes a fitting crescendo, climaxing at the Olde Vic.
    Come On You Hatters!

If you're/we're walking up Higher Hillgate it's worth taking a look at the, now closed, Strawberry Studios on Waterloo Street.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawberry_Studios

Lots of good stuff recorded there and where 10cc first met.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 10-10-2017 at 14:11.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas