Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Pubs Galore - the next crawl (Stockport, Autumn 2017)

I've no problem with doing a crawl around Stockport, but I'm just wondering why we're visiting the sticks rather than the metropolis of Manchester itself.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    currently scheduled for a Stockport crawl 21Oct, £11ew I think.
    This may be useful for anyone going from London early morning. Cheap advance tickets are hard to come by on Virgin trains weekday early mornings. I'm going to Stockport next month to visit the last three Cheshire JDWs and am getting the 08:46 LM service to Stoke (arrives 11:02). I've then got an advance ticket on the next Cross Country service to Manchester via Stockport which arrives about 15 minutes later and gets to Stockport around 11:50. The tickets with a railcard are £5.95 and £2.85 totalling £8.80. My fast advance Virgin ticket back from Stockport is £14.50.
    Another tip for that 08:46 from Euston is that if things are running normally it is formed by the front 4 coaches of the 08:28 arrival from Brum on Platform 11, If you look at the arrival boards and see it is roughly on time then you can go up Platform 11 and wait for them to split the train, put it up on the boards and open the doors then grab your favourite seat. Note this only works with normal running and on weekdays. Under those circumstances it hasn't failed me yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    I've no problem with doing a crawl around Stockport, but I'm just wondering why we're visiting the sticks rather than the metropolis of Manchester itself.

You're the first person to query it! It was just a suggestion. I like Stockport.

By all means, propose Manchester instead. We could have a poll...
    Come On You Hatters!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    I would be quite happy to stay on the train for another stop to tackle Manchester,if there are alternatives then a poll might be a good idea.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire

Manc or Stockport good with me after accidentally gatecrashing the Hull one!

Having just a picked up a discounted copy of the splendid new 'Real Heritage Pubs of the North West' guide at the GBBF, there are 12 listed pubs for Stockport and suburbs with historic interiors listed (of which I have been to a feeble two). Some 13 are listed for Manchester and suburbs (six visited) plus six in Salford (nil).

Spritzer Swallower Cider Drinker's Avatar

We're both up for either place, if we could decide on a date that would be splendid as I don't want to end up with appointments stopping me from coming. X

Quote Originally Posted by Cider Drinker View Post
    We're both up for either place, if we could decide on a date that would be splendid as I don't want to end up with appointments stopping me from coming. X
    As no one has objected to Stockport and some have seemed quite keen (even ROB Camra said he's "no problem with doing a crawl around Stockport, but..."), shall we go for Stockport this time as people probably need to finalise their transport arrangements fairly soon.

On the date, Gann said the 10th was no good for him, and I think the 3rd is in half term week for some if not most areas, which might put some pressure on train tickets, so how about Friday 17 November?
    Come On You Hatters!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    As no one has objected to Stockport and some have seemed quite keen (even ROB Camra said he's "no problem with doing a crawl around Stockport, but..."), shall we go for Stockport this time as people probably need to finalise their transport arrangements fairly soon.

On the date, Gann said the 10th was no good for him, and I think the 3rd is in half term week for some if not most areas, which might put some pressure on train tickets, so how about Friday 17 November?
    Good for me.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

17th is good for me.