Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beermats ??

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    You can't say our logo isn't a good source of debate.

It's all good advertising I hear.
    I'm inspired..........
    Waes hael!

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

I have no beermats really, the odd one or two - i have some nice MILD pump clips though - a nice metal Highgate Dark with the old logo on - given to me by the brewery when i took their records
    MILD:

Inspired by this thread, when I was out and about last night I thought I'd do a quick beermat survey, as you do. I visited 7 pubs in Liverpool 3 and five of the seven had beermats either laid on the tables or in a pile on the table. In pub 1 the beermats came from Merseyside Police and advertised a drop in centre for victims of anti gay violence. Pub 2 they came from Carlsberg, Guinness in pub3. Pub 4 had a mixture of some from a blended whisky company, a games company and the local CAMRA branch. The final pub had a mix from smaller British and European breweries, this pub is a standing beer festival which majors on UK micros and Belgian/German specialities. I didn't take any mats home and none were injured in carrying out this survey.
    The two without mats were a trendy Greene King place and a part pub/part restaurant catering mainly for suits. The others were a back street local, a very basic back street local, a down at heel bar, a real ale pub and the beer festival pub.

I loved Carling's beermat with quirky facts on other side. I spent hours browsing all beermats.

Why they don't make it anymore?
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Never collected them, but I used to collect beer bottle labels, and matchbox tops

And bus tickets {London Transport}, the ones a Clippie used to give out, not the roll ones, the cardboardy sort, if the number added up to 21 it was even better, sad sod or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    I used to collect beer bottle labels, and matchbox tops And bus tickets {London Transport}
    I once read a letter in a teenage magazine problem page where someone was concerned that they had taken an interest in the occult. The agony aunt replied that they were just an intelligent person with not enough to occupy their curiosity and not to worry. They could just as easily have got into doing x, y or z or collecting bus tickets.

There must be some pyschologists explanation for why people collect things, but it can't be too far removed from OCD. These days, for some, the habit manifests itself in taking photographs of pubs and trying to get lists of pubs up to date and into some kind of order
    Waes hael!

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

if the number added up to 21 it was even better
    Phew! Not just me then.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Now, well down memory lane, did anyone used to collect matchboxes, Swan Vesta's, and if the coloured strip inside the push out tray [that had the matches in, was a certain colour it was rumoured SV would pay prize money to the finder?

I think the magic colour was purple but as I was only about 11 it is all a distant haze now

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

I think the magic colour was purple ...... it is all a distant haze now
    Wow, Farway, what were you smoking then?
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    Wow, Farway, what were you smoking then?
    Dogends from the gutter mainly, crumbled into acorn pipes