Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wellington and stations towards Wolverhampton

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

I know i am slightly biased but the Station is the best pub in Oakengates , the variety and quality of beers are superb , the Fighting Cocks suffers from being a managed house with a high turnover of managers , they got through 5 last year , they are on their 2nd since Hop and Stagger took over a few months ago soon to be on their 3rd . The Crown could be much better , but to many weeks just has to many boring beers on Goffs , Tring , etc .

Another strange trait is locals from the Station will wander up the Fighting Cocks for a pint or two , and locals from the Fighting Cocks will wander down to the Station for a pint or two , very rare that any cross the road to the Crown.

Local CAMRA bigwigs prefer the Crown and dislike the Station which comfirms my theory they have not got a clue .

Local CAMRA pub of the year is the White Hart in Shifnal and Town pub of the Year the Cock Hotel in Wellington , the reviews on here suggest we have different ideas .
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    I know i am slightly biased but the Station is the best pub in Oakengates , the variety and quality of beers are superb , the Fighting Cocks suffers from being a managed house with a high turnover of managers , they got through 5 last year , they are on their 2nd since Hop and Stagger took over a few months ago soon to be on their 3rd . The Crown could be much better , but to many weeks just has too many boring beers on Goffs , Tring , etc .
    Having visited Oakengates a few times recently at different times of the day, I agree the Station is the best for both atmosphere and beer. The Crown was very quiet on a Saturday lunch and full with a young crowd in the evening. The Station had a more regular trade both lunch and evening. On our Friday, the Crown had a much smaller beer range, the Fighting Cocks was surprisingly quiet but the station was full of life. Oh, and they have Bathams. Not Oggwyn's cup of tea but a long term favourite of mine. Worth travelling from Wales for. The pies are great too!
    They are all still good pubs and I would not mind any of them just down the road to add to the Bridge End at Ruabon.
    Last edited by AlanH; 06-07-2017 at 14:52.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I would not mind any of them just down the road to add to the Bridge End at Ruabon.

That's one of the two pubs I thought should be on that Wales list I posted the other day. The other one was the Neuadd Arms in Llanwrtyd Wells.
    As an occasional visitor to Oakengates I would ALWAYS visit all three! I'd leave the Station until last in case I got "stuck".

Just announced today , Wellington Station is to have a major refurb which will include a Micro Brewery , hopefully they will have a Brewery Tap on the Station.

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Just announced today , Wellington Station is to have a major refurb which will include a Micro Brewery , hopefully they will have a Brewery Tap on the Station.
    Good excuse for a return visit!
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

Don't suppose it'll be done by September when I'm there?

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Don't suppose it'll be done by September when I'm there?
    No chance , if it was the Town Centre they would spend/waste millions on it getting it done .

Quote Originally Posted by Real Ale Ray View Post
    Good excuse for a return visit!
    Who needs an excuse?

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Who needs an excuse?
    Me! I am full of excuses, so that means plenty of visits.