Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup Prediction Game

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Default World Cup Prediction Game

Following on from Roger’s sweepstake idea I thought some of you might want to take part in a game to predict the results of the World Cup games. There’s a website I’ve used before called SportGuru that runs competitions for sports predictions. I entered the World T20 Cricket competition and came 23rd, albeit there were only about 1,200 players.

They’ve set a game up for the World Cup and it’s a bit different to the usual Fantasy Games where you pick an actual team and get points for goals, clean sheets etc. In this one you just have to predict the result of each game, e.g. England 3 USA 1.

You get a point for correctly predicting the winner of each game, or a draw, and if you get this right you can earn further points for getting the score right or the winning margin. For instance, in the example above if England were to win 2-0 you get an extra 0.5 point for getting the goal difference right. If they were to win 3-2 you get 0.25 of a point for getting the number of England goals right. There are also bonus points available for the best predictions in our private league.

This all seems a bit complicated, and actually it is, but there’s no need to worry about that, all you have to do is to log on to the site and predict the result of each game. You don‘t need to be around a PC for every game as you can enter your picks in advance, say once a week.

I’ve set up a private league on the site called Pubs Galore Forum. All you need to do is to go to this web page and register (you don’t get loads of spam) then click on the Join a Pool link and you‘ll see a box asking you for a code. Enter the code ‘bilebrow’ and you’ll be in, and can see which other PuG members are playing. Let me know when you have as I probably need to accept you into the league.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Thanks for setting that up, I've just joined.

Could be quite fun to see how badly lacking my knowledge of international football is!!

I'm in... Will pick the scores nearer the time so that my brain can be properly mashed by all of the statistics out of the Sun and opinions of friends!
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Thanks for that, signed up now, will make my predictions later, preferably when suitably drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Thanks for that, signed up now, will make my predictions later, preferably when suitably drunk.
    Have you signed up Roger's world cup sweepstakes? It is free you know
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Former Pubs Galore Coder

He is out of numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    He is out of numbers.
    Oh bad luck.. I was looking foward to you join sweepstakes.

Never mind eh?
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Spares me the embarrassment of having to look up on a map where the country I have drawn is

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Strongers, Conrad and Dave have been accepted into the league so we are currently four. All are welcome, plenty of time to go.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

My temproray internet connection is drifting in and out of consciousness so I'll have a longer look at it when I am at work tomorrow but I'm sure I'll be part of it!