Ads not shown when logged in
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: World Cup Prediction Game

Just Missed the Round Evil Gazebo's Avatar

With the knockout stage starting tomorrow, I only just found out via that email that results will be decided by the score after extra-time, if played. I would've assumed that the 90 minute result was what we were guessing, so just to let you all know if, like me, you didn't already.

It seems if you pick a draw, you then get the option to choose the penalty shoot-out winner or something. It's getting confusing now, I'm off for a beer.
    And you can really taste the hops!

Well, at least it makes the England game easy to predict...

1-1 after full time and extra time, Germany to win on penalties....

I really should read that Positive Thinking Self Help book again.................
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I really don't get this negativity, probably helps that I have only come to football in the last decade though.

I did like the observation on the radio that Germany had not beaten England in open play since 1970 (I think that is right).

Only in finals, Conrad - Germany beat England 1-0 at Wembley in that game which led to Kevin Keegan resigning in the toilet. The 3 times they have met in the final stages competitions since 1970 have all been drawn - 1982, 1990 and 1996. So England haven't beaten Germany either.

Apart from that time when England beat Germany 1-0 in Charleroi in 2000.

exits red-faced

To ensure England progress to the next stage i will pick Germany to win in the prediction game. Cant fail.
    From the home of the kebab of doom

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I said I liked the observation, I didn't say it was true

Pretty poor effort though, that will teach me to listen to TalkSport, although changing channel would have required working out the radio in the loaner I was using.

Don't like this Wiki page, genuinely though I haven't been that impressed by the German team recently, sadly the same can be said of the English side, I do think it will come down to who fires on the day.

Also the first half of the Brazil match just had me getting fed up of the Portuguese moaners, second half is just sending me to sleep, soon be beer O'Clock.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Gazebo View Post
    With the knockout stage starting tomorrow, I only just found out via that email that results will be decided by the score after extra-time, if played. I would've assumed that the 90 minute result was what we were guessing, so just to let you all know if, like me, you didn't already.

It seems if you pick a draw, you then get the option to choose the penalty shoot-out winner or something. It's getting confusing now, I'm off for a beer.
    I did wonder how this would work in the knockout stage and think you are spot on with this EG. I guess with extra time counting it takes the draw further out of the equation and could lead to higher scoring results - that's my theory anyway.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Real Ale Drinker

Interesting to see that only Dave M and myself have gone for the Netherlands to beat Brazil. I'm confident that they will so this should give me a decent leg up the table while nearly everyone else gets no points !!
    At least that's my masterplan.

Was astounded to find myself inexplicably top of the table yesterday morning, having been languishing in 14th place about a week ago. Finally I get to wear that rather fetching little yellow cap for a while, as well, before plunging back down to mid-table anonymity, no doubt.