Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it the heat, or are my taste buds off?

Default Is it the heat, or are my taste buds off?

Good afternoon all! I went for a pub crawl round Digbeth yesterday and nearly all the real ales I tried were a tad to warm and went flat pretty quickly.

Last week, after a long walk, I popped in to a pub in Henley in Arden when the afternoon temperature was hitting 30 degrees and the beer tasted ok, but was warm and went flat quickly.

I had the same experience in Gloucester - I did a crawl in the winter and the beer was great. Went back in the Summer on a hot day and the best pint I had all day was in an air conditioned Wetherspoons.

So, does anyone else feel that in the summer months when its very hot, there is a dip in quality of real ales - or is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by General Staal View Post
    So, does anyone else feel that in the summer months when its very hot, there is a dip in quality of real ales - or is it just me?
    Yes, No

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

A laconic answer from OB, but one i have to agree with.
    MILD:

Good afternoon all! I went for a pub crawl round Digbeth yesterday and nearly all the real ales I tried were a tad to warm and went flat pretty quickly.

Last week, after a long walk, I popped in to a pub in Henley in Arden when the afternoon temperature was hitting 30 degrees and the beer tasted ok, but was warm and went flat quickly.

I had the same experience in Gloucester - I did a crawl in the winter and the beer was great. Went back in the Summer on a hot day and the best pint I had all day was in an air conditioned Wetherspoons.

It can certainly make one search out something like Fuller's Discovery which is designed to be served slightly chilled - a fine pint for a hot summer day.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Yes, No

I can just feel the sarcasm.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

It can be difficult for some pubs to keep their ales at a proper temperature when there is a prolonged hot spell, and I'd agree that served too warm they can become a little unpalatable. If anything I'd rather a pint be served too cold, at least you have the option of letting it sit for a while.

I can just feel the sarcasm.
    None intended, I'm not as anti-social as some ( you know who you are, Paul) I'm just a man of few words although sadly no longer one of action . Maldenman is more fulsome and correct although in these days of efficient cellar coolers and in-line thingys there's less justification than in the olden days.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    If anything I'd rather a pint be served too cold, at least you have the option of letting it sit for a while.
    I tried that with a pint of Titanic Stout in the Royal Exchange - i waited for ages, went to the loo, came back and the pint had been taken away
    MILD:

No its not just you Ive also noticed a the same problem in far too many Pubs the Ale is too warm and it seems too be exacerbated by the fact that less people are drinking it in the warm weather and switching too super chilled lagers ETC so theres less turn over meaning its sitting there longer on tap.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    I tried that with a pint of Titanic Stout in the Royal Exchange - i waited for ages, went to the loo, came back and the pint had been taken away
    Put a beermat on top of it. It stops the flies getting in and its a signal that you'll be back. Were you alone in the pub, again Soupy?

Its just annoying that the beer in pubs you know are great tastes below par. It makes me embarassed that people will visit a place you have recommended only to taste the stuff when its not at its best. Take the White Swan in Digbeth. Its a great pub that serves great Banks's Mild and Bitter. But yesterday, along with all the pubs in Digbeth I went in, the ale just didn't taste right. And I know that's just not the way the Swan is.