Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Ethelred the Unsteady's 'reviews'

Default Ethelred the Unsteady's 'reviews'

Another "review" from Ethelred the Unsteady: The Blue Bell in Bolsover.

"In the 1970s, pink-faced, well-scrubbed young coal miners would drink Mansfield bitter in this pub, accompanied by their attractive, denim-clad girlfriends, and all to the strains of "Sweet Home Alabama" or "Free Bird" on the jukebox. That was, when they were not being enthralled, by the energetic renditions of this-or-that pub rock ensemble, venturing over from Sheffield or from Nottingham. If you got hungry, then there were always pies and peas.

The air outside was heavy with the coal-tar miasma from the nearby Coalite works.

There was a motor workshop to the rear, where a long-haired man, of bear-like build, would service vehicles, especially sports cars. He didn't bother with jacks, but simply lifted them onto blocks. At the end of his day, he would wash his hands in petrol.

The panoramic view from the car park was in large part a heavy industrial one, well, when it wasn't foggy, that was.

I hope that my few supplementary words have helped you, to read the detailed and informative review below from an angle, which would give it more resonance than it might perhaps otherwise have had.
    "

Notwithstanding my concern that, apparently, only Lynyrd Skynyrd records were available on Bolsover juke boxes in the 1970s, and the impact this might have had on the productivity at the local Coalite plant, I have to agree with what aleandhearty wrote here: by accepting his postings, "we run the risk of opening the sluice gates to a river of unwanted and irrelevant content".

The Report a review sub-forum does not allow discussion, so I have copied and expanded my post there into the Chit Chat forum. I would be interested to hear other people's views.
    Come On You Hatters!

I agree with the Hatter.

I agree with Nick Davies (apart from it being funny) and A & H does have a valid point but a complete cull seems extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I agree with Nick Davies (apart from it being funny) and A & H does have a valid point but a complete cull seems extreme.
    Thanks for pointing out that this post was also on this subject, which had passed me by (it was titled "Not a review", which didn't ring any bells).

I agree with you that a complete cull seems extreme. Some of my reviews can include little stories of how I got there and what sort of mood I was in, so I can see the value of writing that is not entirely to the point. But the review of the Blue Bell that prompted me to start this thread tells us absolutely nothing about this pub, and the attempt to tie it in somehow by suggesting that it was written in the hope that it would give "more resonance" to the previous review by one of our more prolific and informative reviewers borders on the insulting.

I agree with Nick Davies that this person should make himself at home by joining us here on the Forums, but perhaps he's enjoying himself too much to have the time. (Sorry that sounds more sarcastic than welcoming. Must try harder.)
    Come On You Hatters!

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I also agree with Nick, and the dits do liven up a review, we have all chuckled at the " review appreciation thread", some like ETAs contributions add to the description but also jolly it along.

Perhaps some how ETU ould be asked to join in? I hope so
    I drink to make others more interesting

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Nick Davies post is spot on. For that reason I believe,in this instance, ETU's Blue Bell review is outside the guidelines.He is quite capable of meeting the guidelines in other reviews that I have read,so hopefully he will engage in the forum and become part of the community in the future.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Maybe there should be a thread for old gits where ancient / raucous / embarrassing or otherwise visits to pubs can be recalled.