Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Football theft.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    plays the radio commentry along side
    I've tried that with a pocket radio when the pub had the tv commentary off during the jazz afternoon (nice...), but the satellite delay had the picture a few seconds behind the audio so I gave up in frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    but the satellite delay had the picture a few seconds behind the audio so I gave up in frustration.
    Yes, I do find that kind of frustrating, but the couple of times I've done it I think the others around me got even more frustrated when I suddenly cheered a few seconds before something happened.

Thanks for the support everyone. I hesitated to post on this subject knowing we have some fervent football fans here. In short I expected to get emasculated in a literary manner. There are far to many grasping hands when it comes to anysort of entertainment. But I believe things will change by public pressure, either officially or more likely by the back door. The Music ,Film and Software companys know it but will not admit it. How long will Football remain in its present form under the financial pressure it has largely bought upon itself. The game of football itself will endure I have no doubt. It is the big inflated balloon of super-clubs filled with super- egos that will suddenly burst. I don't give a toss about the overpaid who will suffer. As usual it will be the fan, who pays a large slice of his income, who will suffer. His beloved team disbanded, the ground sold as housing or yet another retail park . " Do you remember when...?" heard in the bar is all that is left.

I really do hope I am wrong in this crystal ball gazing lark.

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post

A Landlord that has piped his own private Sky feed down to the pub teles so that there's no glass sign in the bottom corner ?, which is definately illegal and I tend to try and not condone.
    I have heard that some unscrupulous landlords were putting little plastic pint glass stickers on the corners of their TV's so it looked like they had the legitimate feed. That's why the glass now sometimes appears full, half full or empty with different matches.

Ha, I didn't know that.

I must admit that I prefer watching the Arab channels as the sound is turned off and the mutterings of Andy Grey don't have to be endured. The only time I have noticed private Sky eing used in a pub was a lock in for a Naseem Hamed fight at 4 in the morning, which I think is fair enough as it was a back street boozer with a few die hard regulars in attendance and it was pay per view anyway.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    I have heard that some unscrupulous landlords were putting little plastic pint glass stickers on the corners of their TV's so it looked like they had the legitimate feed. That's why the glass now sometimes appears full, half full or empty with different matches.
    I think it would be better if the Pint Glass was Full at the start of the match and was gradually emptying till half time then refilling and gradually emptying too full time. With some games it might add a bit of excitement.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

I see that nobody seems to be overly concerned about Sky missing out on their fees, or the potential knock-on effect of professional footballers' paltry wages being less than they might otherwise be, but I would say that there is an unfair penalty on a pub that sticks to the rules in these circumstances compared to one that does not do so.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I wondered what the little glass was doing in the corner of the screen when I was watching the soundless cricket on Sunday night at the back of a sports club. Was better than watching the flashing lights round the artiste at the front of the room.

Not bothered about the screens usually, but I have learned something new.

Just Missed the Round Evil Gazebo's Avatar

Originally Posted by trainman

but the satellite delay had the picture a few seconds behind the audio so I gave up in frustration.

Originally posted by Dave M

Yes, I do find that kind of frustrating, but the couple of times I've done it I think the others around me got even more frustrated when I suddenly cheered a few seconds before something happened.
    You are both missing an opportunity here. The thing to do is to have an ear-piece discreet enough not to be obvious, then dazzle the rest of the pub with your Nostradamus-like skills. Eg when Gerrard starts his run-up to take a free-kick from 25 yards, you can shout, "He'll definitely score here," then wait for the impressed looks as the ball slams into the net three seconds later.
    And you can really taste the hops!

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Or even better with a miss, " No chance, that'll hit the last defender and balloon over from that angle, obvious."

Similar situation, several years back at a Newcastle game with a mate, the Geordies got a free kick about 6 yards out (due to the old keeper steps rule... were these direct, this was?) . The visiting team, (can't recall who) filled the goal line completely, like parking a coach across it. My mate said "No chance here", immediately the ground exploded as Keegan blasted it into the roof of the net.