Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Football theft.

Default Football theft.

What are the thoughts on here of illegal 3pm Saturday fooball airing. Victimless crime? disgracful behaviour? unfair on law abiding publicans? Terrible as it denies footballers of a proper wage.

When I find a pub with Saturday afternoon football I hint towards it in my review, but don't blatently mention it - is this acceptable or should I just forget I ever noticed it?

Does anyone really give a t@ss?
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Just to clarify Strongers, what are you defining as an Illegal football airing ?

A Landlord that has piped his own private Sky feed down to the pub teles so that there's no glass sign in the bottom corner ?, which is definately illegal and I tend to try and not condone.

Or a Publican who has installed some impressive Satellite hardware so that he can pick up the Nordic transmitted games ? which seems to be a bit of a grey area (I believe)..
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

I was refering to the Arab/Norwegian satellite channels, but either are worthy of discussion.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

In my Opinion its Sky that are the thieves I was told by one landlord the reason hes stopped showing Sky sports matches Etc they wanted over £200 a week and thats in a small Pub.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

I am not a football fan in the fact that I do not support any team with my physical attendance at games. Nor do I pay the large entrance fee demanded these days or pay Sky extra cash to watch it on TV. To me it is just another form of entertainment which our world is awash and backed by advertisers who wish us spend money on their products. Players and Managers paid wages beyond comprehension by Team Brands with debt problems bigger than some third world countries.
    By now you may be getting the idea that if I while away sometime in a pub watching a televised match my thoughts are not concerning the legality of it all .You would be dead right.
    I respect the fervor and passion of the fans for their team of whatever league or nationality. Most of all those who week after week follow little known local teams around the country with small, if any, hope of ever winning a trophy.
    So watching anything on a screen with constant mention of the sponsor does not raise any guilt feelings in me . If its going into extra time I'll have another.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

In reality I don't give a fig, Arwkrite's opinion sums it up nicely really. Although if it is illegal we shouldn't really promote it in reviews, I'm not sure of the legality of foreign feeds though.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    In reality I don't give a fig, Arwkrite's opinion sums it up nicely really. Although if it is illegal we shouldn't really promote it in reviews, I'm not sure of the legality of foreign feeds though.
    Also with Arwkrite on his summatiom, I'm in the "Don't give a t@ss" corner

I think mentioning it in reviews would be red rags to many bulls, especially if one of the pubs get visited by Sky Gestapo and PG is mentioned in court or whatever. Plus we all have had funny looks at some time as we scribble or snap away, just think if the Licenced Trade got the idea we were just snooping on their dodgier habits, like no doubt the odd one or two buying spirits, bottled lager etc from Tesco and not his tied brewer

Just turn a blind eye IMO
    Last edited by Farway; 29-05-2010 at 15:09.

I think our pubs and the trade of publican are under threat from so many areas these days (business rates, over-taxation, being bled by pubcos, Food Safety Act, pointless Eurocracy, health fascists, teetotalers and so on) that it would be one more nail in their collective coffin if mine honest tapster were suddenly forced to fork out several days' beer profits just because he let one or two customers watch a few minutes of the odd game in the background while stopping to re-hydrate during a particularly arduous dog-walking evening. Provided he isn't selling tickets, I really don't see an issue. People who care enough about the footie to buy Sky just for that purpose will probably be at home watching the whole match anyway, while those who don't care won't buy Sky just for that purpose.

Come on, media moguls, give our real heroes (the landlords, who play a far less glamorous yet far more vital role in keeping British society stable than the footballers) a break.

(Farway - Sky Gestapo - "Geheime SCARTs Polizei"?)
    Last edited by ETA; 29-05-2010 at 15:32. Reason: correction

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

To be honest it dont bother me a lot , as long as it it doesnt get in the way of the beer .
    One local landlord has the arabic station with the untranslatable commentry , so with a touch of genius he tunes the radio in (radio 5/talksport or a local station ) and plays the radio commentry along side , always reminds me of watching the cricket with me grandad , telly on , sound off ,TMS on the radio
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

One pub near my house stopped showing Sky couple of years ago as Sky asked for £1,000 per month which is simply too much so they decided to stick two fingers at them and installed rather advanced satellite where it can pick up Arabic, Italian, Romanian channels.

All this cost is around £100 for satellite.

Oh I am in "I dont have t@ss as long there is footie on TV" group..
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/