Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Great Inter-County Pub Crawl

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Default Northamptonshire

This leg of the journey was a bit of a challenge, just over an hour on the train and tiredness was starting to set in. We managed to stay awake though and arrived in Northampton at 17:34, in the middle of a monsoon. So we did the only sensible thing and jumped in a cab to The Malt Shovel and took cover. Getting towards the end now and we start getting a bit braver on the beer front with the excellent Old Jock Ale at 6.7% from Broughtons Brewery . A three minute call to the guys at Lords showed the ups and downs of cricket. Yes they stared play around 3.15, (big roar) no but it was close, (bigger roar) yes, a wicket got him, (dull groan) and they’re off again for rain. Fortunately the rain had stopped where we were so we walked back to the station. We really should have learned from earlier in the day but we left ourselves far too little time to get there so had to rush and after forcing our way through the barriers we found the train doors locked shut. But the helpful guard ushered us through his door and we were on the 18:31, and somehow ‘on timetable’. As we passed through the Northamptonshire countryside we reflected on the fact that we had now successfully made 6 counties and were on our way to the seventh.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Default Hertfordshire

We arrived in Berkhamsted in the county of Hertfordshire at 19:15 and headed for the closest pub, the Crystal Palace. As was customary Peter thrust a £10 note at me and rushed off to the Gents. Beers hadn’t been that inspiring here on previous visits so I got a couple of halves of Milestones Crusader with the intention of moving on to the Rising Sun. However the Crusader was very good and we both decided that we’d done enough walking for a while so stayed there and had another pint . A curious handwritten poster on the notice board informed us that someone was looking for a Rhythmic Gymnast, to play in a covers band. On closer investigation it transpired that they were looking for a Rhythm Guitarist - must get my eyes tested . Following a debate about the boundaries of Middlesex County we left and caught the 20:15 train arriving in Hemel Hempstead shortly afterwards where I delivered Peter back into the loving arms of his wife, who he'd left in the car park some 14 hours earlier - I wonder if she'd been home.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Reeespect!!!

Default Greater London

So, bang on timetable I arrived back at Watford Junction at 20:27. But this whole thing about missing Gloucestershire was bugging me, I’d set out to do eight counties and only done seven. The answer was clear, my penance was to stay on the train and add Greater London to the list. I did this at the Doric Arch at Euston where I had a pint and a half of Harviestoun Bitter & Twisted amongst some celebrating Millwall fans. I also picked up a voicemail message from Peter who had remembered a conversation between the elderly ranting walker and the train guard at Worcester, that proved he was trying to get on the train and not off it, and was eager to tell me about it. Yeah OK Peter, you win, he was trying to get on the train. Finally the 21:31 train took me back to Watford and I arrived home around 22:10, some 17 hours after setting out in the morning, somewhat knackered, poorer of pocket but richer of experience.

There is an excellent pub in Malvern link called the Nags Head,14 handpulls. About 10 minutes walk,uphill............

Default The Stats

For those who like this sort of thing, and I have to admit that I do, here are the stats.

Total crawling time - 16 hours 55 minutes

Number of train journeys - 13
    Counties visited - 8
    Time spent on trains - 6 hours 51 minutes
    Longest journey - 61 minutes
    Shortest journey - 9 minutes
    Average journey time - 32 minutes

Pubs visited - 12
    Pints drunk - 9 ½
    Time spent in pubs - 6 Hours 5 minutes
    Longest visit - 67 minutes
    Shortest visit - 5 minutes
    Average visit time - 25 minutes

Default Lessons Learned

So what have I learned from all of this?

When someone tells you you’re mad to do something like this - believe them.

Never trust the Bank Holiday weather in England

If the Worcester to Gloucester timetable isn’t on the London Midland website, it’s probably not their service

Wetherspoons do actually open at 7am.

Never argue with a crippled septuagenarian hill walker

There is no such thing as ‘just a 10 minute walk from the station’.

It’s very rare for a Rhythmic Gymnast to be playing in a covers band.

Quote Originally Posted by an_ecumenical_matter View Post
    There is an excellent pub in Malvern link called the Nags Head,14 handpulls. About 10 minutes walk,uphill............
    You know that I don't do hills a_e_m. We did ask someone about nearby pubs and did set off, probably for the Nags Head. However it was pouring with rain and we decided we wouldn't have had enough tme for a pint so we turned around. An opportunity missed it seems. Maybe next time.

This epic journey has now been immortalised as a PuG Pub Crawl . The route map looks interesting.

Shame you didn't visit my home county Staffordshire.. you can travel from New Street to Tamworth. Directly opposite Tamworth Station is Tweeddale Arms. They sell only one real ale.. Old Speckled Hen.
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/