Visit the a swift one site

I must admit this week's choice was becoming difficult. I have a Mallinsons up my sleeve just in case,but nothing really hit the spot until I tripped off down into Chesterfield today. I have a few pubs I like to visit there, but I never realised I would hit 2 beer festivals in 2 pubs. And I had to drive, Timbo's Law !!

Oddly both festivals were locally based, one with Sheffield beers, the other showcasing the best of two local breweries. The latter had Pentrich beers, rarely encountered in our part of the world, and very drinkable and Little Critters from Sheffield.

My co pilot, with a taste for darker beers, saw the Little Critters 'Hazelnut Milk Stout' at our first call but time overtook us and we had to scratch it for some hoppier beers but....

We called at our second pub and our second festival, and guess what was on the bar....well done ! I ignored it, preferring a weaker hoppy beer but once I had a sip of my mate's stout I was sold, next beer sorted.

It is 6%, and unusual for the brewery, not named after an animal. It is a milk stout, but one with attitude - a sweet body with oats and lactose, and a superb hazelnut hit, both in the nose and the taste. It am not a nut fan, but this one worked, may be more than one would be a challenge but it was a superb beer. Look out for it.

More...