Ads not shown when logged in
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh dear, self promotion FAIL

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Could the pub be put under some form of moderation, whereby any reviews posted do not appear automatically and have to be approved by admin?

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    Could the pub be put under some form of moderation, whereby any reviews posted do not appear automatically and have to be approved by admin?
    Not at the moment. We have a method for stopping a pub being reviewed, but no concept of a review in moderation. If a review exists at the moment it is shown.

This is part of the reason we don't have a report button, there is no real ability to manipulate reviews yet, ideally though it will happen.

I'll stay on me own

I agree with Maldenman i had a look at that pub yesterday and it looks a bit of a mess with those reviews and reminds me of some of the things i have seen on the other side.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

I've generally kept away from this thread as I feared it could take on the sort of vigilante theme that I disliked so much on BITE. Having looked at the reviews of the Grove I don't see anything that could be misleading or intentionally incorrect. They talk about the fact that they have real ales, recently ran a beer festival, serve food, show sports and have a heated courtyard - none of which I guess is in any doubt. Apart from that it is pure opinion and I see nothing wrong with that.

You might argue that the landlord has got a few of his customers to post positive reviews but let's look at what some of us have been doing over recent weeks. We're going round pubs wearing PG T-Shirts, giving them to bar staff leaving calling cards and generally spreading the word amongst staff and customers about this website. So if one of those people decides to leave a review and tell his fellow drinkers about PG surely we should be happy (Love This Local? Tell the World).

Of course it would be nice if the member of staff had identified their involvement in the pub but in a way everyone who posts about a pub has some allegience to it, even if it's just as a one visit customer. PG doesn't, as yet, provide anywhere for landlords to post comments and information outside of the review pages so that's where they'll post. I was in a newly re-opened pub at the weekend, got chatting to the new owners, gave them a card and told them that their pub was on PG but was currently showing as closed but that I would remedy that and 'Tell the World' that it was open again. I did think about suggesting they could use the site to post details of events and menus but my personal preference is not to see that sort of thing in the review section so I didn't.

In summary, PG is now publicising itself on Facebook and some of us members are flooding the country's pubs (and the occasional phone box?) with business cards. The purpose of this is to help the site raise its profile and improve it's coverage. I can't see that deleting reviews of the sort that are showing on the Grove helps that at all.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Yep, I'm with Millay on this one and have the same oppinion.
    I would leave them be, and encourage Paris to get the batting average up for reviews on PuG and then any casual browser to that page will be able to differentiate between the one post locals and the more travelled pub goer...

And I would encourage Paris to post more on these forums, but that's purely for the totally selfish reason that the avator cheers up my day.... Yes ,Yes, little things, I know!.
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I cannot see a problem where a landlord posts FACTS about his pub - outdoor seating, real ale, foreign bottles, dartboard, pool table, TV screens, family friendly, dog friendly, have quiz nights, live music nights etc. That sort of thing is really useful for some trying to find a pub that suits them, and lets face it, if one of us gets into a pub on a really busy night, we could well miss out some of the above when doing a review. I frequently do and own up to it. I don't take explicit notes and depending how soon after I write up my reviews my memory can be a bit iffy.So many pubs on here haven't had any review yet, and a landlord or staff member putting facts up could be a real bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    And I would encourage Paris to post more on these forums, but that's purely for the totally selfish reason that the avator cheers up my day.... Yes ,Yes, little things, I know!.
    Gann

Here's a larger copy of my avatar for your own personal use

http://static.technorati.com/10/08/1...hilton-001.jpg

Hope you enjoy it.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Paris, you do look a bit rough there, hard night was it? snigger

Quote Originally Posted by Paris_Hilton View Post
    Gann

Here's a larger copy of my avatar for your own personal use

http://static.technorati.com/10/08/1...hilton-001.jpg

Hope you enjoy it.
    Don't use it too quickly, too much is bad for you apparently.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I'm with Millay & co, at least the reviews are factual, the rest is opinion, which we all have about a pub at times and post at times

I concur with Gill's point as well, I only sometimes take notes so could [and have] missed things, in fact just this week a landlady politely corrected my missing the "disabled" entrance

FWIW, let them be, unless rude / offensive etc, otherwise we are in danger of review Gestapo popping up