Ads not shown when logged in
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh dear, self promotion FAIL

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Do you reckon John Mcilroy is a clone? Or do folk from Somerset have some sort of problem spelling kept? Is it the thick sausage fingers perhaps?

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    Do you reckon John Mcilroy is a clone? Or do folk from Somerset have some sort of problem spelling kept? Is it the thick sausage fingers perhaps?
    Looks like they are different people and located at different locations. I suspect that one is the landlord and one is someone responsible in a different way though, possibly area rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Gazebo View Post
    Haha! He certainly is - confirmed.
    Not the landlord this time; his clueless barman perhaps?

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/33144/

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Hmm well this is turning into a bit of merry mayhem.

I can't actually see Evil's link, but from the information I have to hand it is fairly clear that Simon Davies is involved in the pub, so that review should probably be deleted. John McIlroy is I think involved in the pub in some way but more investigation needed.

Paris has then left a review that is kind of asking for more retaliation (please note, this is Paris's right, we have not edited the review, just saying it is not my cup of tea), not sure what I think is the right approach in my mind is - probably to request a deletion through the forums.

Goodness knows who John McIlroy is, but judging by their photo they are someone behind the bar. And Mike Landsdown is just Simon using a different user and passing off again.

Me and Dave are running round a bit this week but we will sit down at some point and try and work out what we are going to do about it. Probably a deletion of both of Simon's reviews as they are clearly fabricated. Without more real evidence I am inclined to leave the other 2 reviews standing. I would prefer to find a method that isn't going to end with me just locking up that pub listing to stop it turning into a running slanging match though.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Paris has then left a review that is kind of asking for more retaliation (please note, this is Paris's right, we have not edited the review, just saying it is not my cup of tea), not sure what I think is the right approach in my mind is - probably to request a deletion through the forums.
    Conrad

I wasn't asking for ANY retaliation. My point was that Steve Middleton (and now Mike Lansdown) are single reviewers who just happen to have responded to my less that complimentary review.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Paris_Hilton View Post
    Conrad

I wasn't asking for ANY retaliation. My point was that Steve Middleton (and now Mike Lansdown) are single reviewers who just happen to have responded to my less that complimentary review.
    I meant your review was asking for retaliation, it read in a very inflammatory way to me. After that review it seemed a little inevitable that someone who writes false reviews is just going to try it on again, I personally think there are better ways to handle it.

Also from the context of a site user who doesn't use the forums you are a single reviewer who has just happened to respond to Simon Davies and John McIlroy.

My final word on this thread.

I meant your review was asking for retaliation, it read in a very inflammatory way to me. After that review it seemed a little inevitable that someone who writes false reviews is just going to try it on again, I personally think there are better ways to handle it..
    Apologies if my review seemed inflammatory but I spoke as I found. I will attempt to temper my language in future if you feel it seeks retailiation.

Also from the context of a site user who doesn't use the forums you are a single reviewer who has just happened to respond to Simon Davies and John McIlroy.
    I am a site user who does use the Forums. Also I didn't respond to any other reviews; I visited the pub and subsequently posted my review. I have nothing whatsoever to do with this pub; Simon Davies has.

I have posted dozens of reviews on the other site; I intend to start placing them here too since the drop in standards elsewhere (see http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs...r_Arms/Taunton)

I have posted dozens of reviews on the other site; I intend to start placing them here too since the drop in standards elsewhere (see http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs...r_Arms/Taunton)
    I always thought Dr Pangloss and The Final Arbiter quite good reviewers, especially as they are based in our patch (Somerset) so to speak. So why they have descended into a slanging match I don't know, it is exactly the sort of thing which made me migrate. Is it worth tempting them over here?

Quote Originally Posted by Brewguru View Post
    Is it worth tempting them over here?
    Having read their recent stuff, the word no springs to mind.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Apologies if my review seemed inflammatory but I spoke as I found. I will attempt to temper my language in future if you feel it seeks
    retailiation.

I am a site user who does use the Forums. Also I didn't respond to any other reviews; I visited the pub and subsequently posted my review. I have nothing whatsoever to do with this pub; Simon Davies has.
    Your language was fine, it is just outing Simon in a review and then giving him advice on his service, I can imagine how I would feel, but equally I wouldn't post a stupid pretend I am someone else review.
    Don't worry I know, I was just pointing out that to someone casually reading it, that pub is starting to look like the sort of slanging match you would see elsewhere, and I am grateful you haven't replied to the other reviews.

Just to reiterate, we will do a clean up of that pub, probably tomorrow. Basically I am sort of on hols this week and not seeing Dave to collaborate, should be seeing him tonight though so will make a decision on how to proceed then. Would imagine that 2 of those reviews are off though.