Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh dear, self promotion FAIL

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    Sorry, I know this is only a bit of harmless fun but let’s beware of those slippery slopes.
    Yes, I know where you are coming from Millay, But I also have Arkwrights view that whilst its on the forums then no real harm done.

But if this spills over into reviews being posted by self appointed policemen then I agree with you that we are on the way down.

However I am sure none of us would stoop to this practice and I have confidence in Conrad keeping the Biker Trolls off the site.
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    I’m not sure that this 'outing' or criticism of reviews, be they biased, derogatory or irrelevant, on the forums sits that well with me. It brings back too many bad memories of a different place. They do say no publicity is bad publicity, and that should apply to both pubs and pub websites. A review is a review after all, and none of us appear to have been to either of the pubs highlighted.

Sorry, I know this is only a bit of harmless fun but let’s beware of those slippery slopes.
    Sorry Millay going to join in the dissenting voices. I think what you are saying is a valuable point I really don't want to see this site turn negative.

Equally we don't run it as a pointless self promotion mechanism for pubs, if all reviews were just the sort which are blatant and poorly hidden self promotion I would have no interest in running the site. I have no problem with a little cheap venting as long as it is not personal. Also to be fair as far as I can tell none of us are interested in visiting these pubs when they have that sort of review, so it wouldn't hurt them to read this.

As to the descending a slippery slope aspect, I think the bigger issue I have seen elsewhere is where good advice is ignored and bad will is fostered. Hopefully we have enough good people here to try and keep the site in line whilst me and Dave listen to you all (and to be fair your comment is a warning that us two should heed).

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Yikes!!

Hmm, still yikes??

I think it is a bit hypocritical of us to tease when we don't tell them what they are doing wrong. Hopefully some reviewing tips (I shouldn't have said guidelines) can help us improve some of these bizarre attempts at promotion. I do only want them to be tips not a do this or we delete your review thing.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I often wonder regarding self promotion why some of the pubs do not have web sites, the one we are currently discussing could have added one and gushed away there for free. Of course I realise the irony that the original posting was about the web site desiner pushing the pub

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I'm still not sure if a pub needs a web site. Part of me thinks that some presence is better, but also I am aware that as an industry they have not really embraced the web, and given how trenched in tradition some of it is I am not sure if that is a bad thing.

I think if they have accommodation it is a must, but beyond that is just desirable rather than important at the moment.

Sadly not my greatest pitch ever for our site

On this forum are a collection people joined by the common interests of using pubs and drinking alcohol in whatever form takes the individuals taste. I am sure I can state we would all rather praise a pub than bury it. ( Sorry "Bill from Stratford "). Even the worse pub you have ever visited is someones much loved (?) local. Rough pubs siphon off the lower orders, while swanky overpriced tarts parlours fill up with the Hooray Henry set. This leaves your good average pub to the rest of us.
    I do not visit pubs on star ratings. What trusted reviewers say about them will set off my wanderlust e.g. The Nags Head ,Reading. No Twigs, no carpet, rickety furniture but the array of pumps and taste of the ale speaks for this pub. No one would would use superlatives about this pub unless it was about the beer itself but I am going to have to revisit it soon. Not often I say that about a pub.

We can discuss both pubs and reviews on the forum for their content, in a civilised manner of course. It is far better than starting a war of words with people we dont know out on the reviews.I once criticized a disguised management review of a pub sometime ago on a differant site. It was handled in a proper manner in which I revisited the pub and regraded it .A new manager had taken over and in a very short time turned it around . I am now far easier going and would not bother replying to the original review but wait for the opinion of a know name.

No self promotion going on here at all!!

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52879/
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post

I actually quite like that one, the first of the 3 kind of mentions they are related to the pub, enough for me anyway, and I would be more than happy if all pubs posted their events on the site.

Would be even better if we gave them a way of doing it. Although right now I will be happy just to finish rewriting our bl**dy privacy policy.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post

Unfortunate pub name, especially if one reads it in the North East vernacular, sounding like Snide Arms. Bad whether taking the literal meaning of snide, or the colloquial meaning fake or copy; eg "I got half a dozen sneyd Rolexes in Turkey for sixpence"

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Again, I still maintain I wish more pubs would do that sort of thing!

Unlike the lovely landlord (at least I assume it was a landlord they didn't drop a review to make it clear) who submitted 7 links, 2 of which were duplicates to a personal Facebook page that seems to double as the pub page (not how I would do it) and the other 5 of which are to different competitor sites including BITEs which has the normal amount of abuse on it (so why link there?). Also 20 photos, most of which seem to be of assorted animals outside the pub (and only some of these are customers). Always fun trying to find polite ways to phrase the rejections on these.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Again, I still maintain I wish more pubs would do that sort of thing!
    Easy C, I was just commenting on the name. I tend to agree that a pub posting upcoming events is no bad thing.