Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh dear, self promotion FAIL

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Looks a bit like the landlord/lady has got his/her chums reviewing this place:

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/8237/
    Any place for which several reviews fail to mention what (variety of) beer they sell is unlikely to be a real ale pub; I wouldn't cross the street for this one.

Not even when words and phrases such as Fantastic ,So Welcoming, So Friendly, Absolutely Gorgeous,Mean and Awesome are so freely used ?
    At least Mr Humbleburger keeps his review within the bounds of credibility, or is he just naturally humble ?
    A word about the beer, apart from Andy's pouring and memory skills, would have been nice I grant you.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Actually all of this is reminding me that I meant to write up review guidelines that you could read when creating a review. I will try and rattle something together and start a thread to get some input on it tomorrow.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Yes, and spot also how the replies to the first derogatory review then all mark each other up as being helpful, oh dear.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Actually all of this is reminding me that I meant to write up review guidelines that you could read when creating a review. I will try and rattle something together and start a thread to get some input on it tomorrow.
    Wat ! and stifle all our creative and informatory prose ? Millays wistfull jottings. Strongers acid whit, RogerB's Fleet Street style. Risk all this for multi-choice questions ?

Quick bring a dose of Jennings Fever Cure and a Carters Little Liver Pill, Conrads had a turn. ( Must be the heat.)

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    Wat ! and stifle all our creative and informatory prose ? Millays wistfull jottings. Strongers acid whit, RogerB's Fleet Street style. Risk all this for multi-choice questions ?

Quick bring a dose of Jennings Fever Cure and a Carters Little Liver Pill, Conrads had a turn. ( Must be the heat.)
    Oooops, thankfully not what I meant, just some bullet point suggestions of what you may want to include in your review. Real Ales available, food, accessibility, pool tables, etc. Oh and of course a twig rating.

Thanks Conrad...better drink the fever Cure and take the pill myself . Well waste not want not and I' ve not been "regular ", as my Mum would say, recently.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

I’m not sure that this 'outing' or criticism of reviews, be they biased, derogatory or irrelevant, on the forums sits that well with me. It brings back too many bad memories of a different place. They do say no publicity is bad publicity, and that should apply to both pubs and pub websites. A review is a review after all, and none of us appear to have been to either of the pubs highlighted.

Sorry, I know this is only a bit of harmless fun but let’s beware of those slippery slopes.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I meant to write up review guidelines
    Yikes!!

just some bullet point suggestions of what you may want to include in your review.
    Hmm, still yikes??

The forum is after all a place for discussion between forum members. This is not being discussed on the pub review page so any adverse comments about the review are not seen by all and sundry, as happens on that other place. Anyone reading the thread should form an idea of what we are trying to make a point of.
    I am all for freedom of expression in reviews as long as they are not abusive. If one is not satisfied about something you should be able to express your thoughts without descending to gutter level.With over use of superlatives in a review of anything or anyplace I get suspicious.I have never found perfection in anything but not difficult to please, I am well used to the mundane and the ordinary especially when it comes to pubs. If a regular reviewer visits the said premises and throws a few "Ooohs " and "Ahhs" about then maybe my suspicions will disappear.