Ads not shown when logged in
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh dear, self promotion FAIL

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Well, it wouldn't attract me or you, but we're not the only ones who use the site! Reviews are there for anyone to read, not just real ale drinkers.
    Quite agree, but would still be surprised if more than a tiny proportion of viewers were interested in those three. Unless bots count.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Quite agree, but would still be surprised if more than a tiny proportion of viewers were interested in those three. Unless bots count.
    My lager drinking friend would be pleased by the presence of Peroni, rather than just basic Carling and Fosters etc. I struggle to taste any significant difference, but…

Quote Originally Posted by Brainypool View Post
    My lager drinking friend would be pleased by the presence of Peroni, rather than just basic Carling and Fosters etc. I struggle to taste any significant difference, but…
    Yes, it's like real ale buffs who denigrate Doom Bar, London Pride and Greene King IPA. There's always a pecking order.
    Come On You Hatters!

Yes, it's like real ale buffs who denigrate Doom Bar, London Pride and Greene King IPA. There's always a pecking order.
    Strange but true. There must be a reason for such behaviour.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

If this didn't constitute the majority of ales available in London pubs, such denigration may not be necessary. Perhaps it might send a message to the publican?

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    If this didn't constitute the majority of ales available in London pubs, such denigration may not be necessary. Perhaps it might send a message to the publican?
    Interesting as to where the boundary lies between influencing choice by having an extensive presence and being so ubiquitous as to be completely boring. And balancing the need to have what everyone else has and is therefore in demand, with the opportunity to offer something different. Mind you, the average publican probably has little say in what is foisted upon them.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    being so ubiquitous as to be completely boring
    ...which kind of brings us back to where we started, with "becks, peroni and amstel"!

Some people are reassured by the names of beers they recognise. I can sympathise to a certain extent, as the last time I ordered a beer in Paris the waiter reeled off a string of names that I didn't recognise, the sole exception being Amstel. I've no idea what I missed out on. And surely this attitude to some extent explains the otherwise hard to understand passion for Bass in certain people. Yes, it's owned by a foreign company with no sympathy for the beer style; yes, it's a shadow of its former self; yes, it's brewed in a different brewery and in a different town, etc, etc. But let's celebrate it anyway (and woe betide anyone who criticises it - see #42ff).

Boring is reassuring!
    Come On You Hatters!

Written by Christine Chipperfield on the 15th of August 2011, the last sentence.

"The pub is under new management and is definitely worth a visit. Good food, warm welcome and a great atmosphere. Please ignore any reviews before November 2011!"

The Carpenters Arms.
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Written by Christine Chipperfield on the 15th of August 2011, the last sentence.

"The pub is under new management and is definitely worth a visit. Good food, warm welcome and a great atmosphere. Please ignore any reviews before November 2011!"

The Carpenters Arms.
    My head has been whirling since the penny dropped regarding the date of her own "review". I could be stuck in this vortex for quite some time...
    Come On You Hatters!

My head has been whirling since the penny dropped regarding the date of her own "review". I could be stuck in this vortex for quite some time...
    Had to read it twice to be sure.
    -W.C.Fields