Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A question about your privacy?

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Its a contribution you have made, so we are not going to fail to credit you with it. In the long term though it would be nice to for instance just filter by review contributions.

I've said before, that providing the means to contribute to Pubs Galore taps into the obsessive compulsions of people like me ..... who feel better about things that are in order
    Waes hael!

Former Pubs Galore Coder

And makes the site better for everyone that uses it so it is appreciated here as well.

I'm another one where the random nature of the current view does my 'ed in...

So I too vote for order..... by date and then by selected filters as the other guys have already suggested..
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I won't have the time to do the secondary sorts for a while.

Out of interest how are you all using (or wanting to use) these pages? And why would a date order be useful? And as a pre-empt you would be happy for someone else to use your user page in the same way?

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    why would a date order be useful? And as a pre-empt you would be happy for someone else to use your user page in the same way?
    Useful in that one could see where trusted reviewers had chosen to visit in on a specific town or area and, yes, I'd be happy for my profile to be visible in this format. The ability to view a user's comments in a consolidated chronological list would also more easily help to assess which of the pubs visited were a success.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Useful in that one could see where trusted reviewers had chosen to visit in on a specific town or area and, yes, I'd be happy for my profile to be visible in this format. The ability to view a user's comments in a consolidated chronological list would also more easily help to assess which of the pubs visited were a success.
    Thanks for that, it has kind of crystallised what is niggling in my brain (sorry I am one of those who needs to bounce ideas around to get my brain working).

Chronological seems like to me that it should only really be useful for keeping tabs on people which can certainly be bad. What you are describing would be better suited to county, town order I think? And would really need to be able to filter counties and towns I'm guessing.

It is equally easy to set it to county, town order as it is to do chronological. If we go this route I may be able to rattle up some quick and nasty filters as well (no promises).

Edit: When I say filter I mean some way to only see their contributions in one county or town probably by way of a county and town drop down in a similar manner to adding pubs.
    Last edited by Conrad; 28-05-2010 at 15:22. Reason: Clarification of filters.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

My preference is certainly for the lists to be chronological, and personally I find it rather useful to see the lists of others, not in some strange stalkerish way I might add, but it is helpful sometimes to see where a known member has been recently as this can be a heads up for my own personal travels. Otherwise it relies on checking the daily lists of reviews or trawling through a long list looking for random entries.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Don't quite understand the reluctance about date order - it would all visible with a trawl through anyway.
    Take Millay's expedition tomorrow - we'll probably be treated to a summary, but the ability to click on recently visited pubs for his username would be an efficient set up.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

The reluctance stems from the fact that I have received emails saying I see person x visited y place yesterday, and I wasn't comfortable to realise that some of our members were tracking other members in that way.

Before I make a change that makes it even easier to do that I want to take advantage of everyone's brains to make sure I am not missing anything.

When one of you is found strangled with their camera strap, or battered to death with your note book I don't want to feel I made it too easy for your stalker