Visit the a swift one site

This weeks 'Beer Of The Week' may raise a few eyebrows.There have been plenty of decent beers about this week but I have chosen one that I have forgotten about, and when I do see it, I often overlook it.

Yesterday it was on the bar at the Kings Head, and with a shortage of anything else to impress me I selected a swift half of Lees 'Brewers Dark'. Lees are a brewery from over the hills in Oldham, and have been on the go since 1828. Their beers are fairly common around Huddersfield, and they do own a couple of local pubs.

'Brewers Dark' has been brewed since 1982, so is certainly no new beer on the block, It is 3.5% on cask (oddly in bottles it is only 2.8%), and is in the style of a mild. Mahogany coloured, and with a roasted taste on the tongue, it possesses a sweetish, soft mouthfeel and hints of coffee and chocolate in the background,

It just goes to prove that even though there are brewers out there pushing boundaries in every direction there is a place for the well crafted, traditional style of beer that have been perfected through the years. Just do not ignore them, like I am tempted to do.

More...