Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Blackpool

Real Ale Drinker

Default Blackpool

I have a few days holiday booked in Blackpool soon and wondered if anyone has any up to date info on the best pubs.
    I have been there before and know it is not the best part of the world for pubs, but it is some years since I was there so am looking for any help on any current must visit pubs.
    I think the Taps in Lytham is still a top place but not sure of any others.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I suppose this fixture may now be one of the first that many supporters of premier league clubs will look for, come August, but if they want real ale they'll likely be disappointed.
    Sorry Gh, my Gran used to live in Thornton-Cleveleys, but that was long before I could drink and my couple of return visits to Blackpool, for footy &, ahem, Roy Chubby Brown(!) showed it to be something of a desert for decent drinkeries. Admittedly those trips didn't have any of the advance research that is key to away-days these days but, for a town so reliant on tourism, the lack of choice was embarrassing.

Not been myself, but sounds like the Saddle Inn may be an exception, with good comments about 8 pumps from at least 3 respected reviewers.
    Last edited by trainman; 26-05-2010 at 17:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Grailhunter View Post
    I have a few days holiday booked in Blackpool soon and wondered if anyone has any up to date info on the best pubs.
    I have been there before and know it is not the best part of the world for pubs, but it is some years since I was there so am looking for any help on any current must visit pubs.
    I think the Taps in Lytham is still a top place but not sure of any others.
    In central Blackpool there are very few good beer pubs. Try the Pump & Truncheon and The Auctioneer (JDW).

On the outskirts there's The Saddle, Shovels, No4 & Freemasons (All one name) and The Dunes Hotel.

Taps is indeed still a good place but it's quite a way out of Blackpool. If you do go to Lytham then try the Ship & Royal as well.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I suppose this fixture may now be one of the first that many supporters of premier league clubs will look for, come August, but if they want real ale they'll likely be disappointed.
    Sorry Gh, my Gran used to live in Thornton-Cleveleys, but that was long before I could drink and my couple of return visits to Blackpool, for footy &, ahem, Roy Chubby Brown(!) showed it to be something of a desert for decent drinkeries. Admittedly those trips didn't have any of the advance research that is key to away-days these days but, for a town so reliant on tourism, the lack of choice was embarrassing.

Not been myself, but sounds like the Saddle Inn may be an exception, with good comments about 8 pumps from at least 3 respected reviewers.
    http://www.thesaddleblackpool.co.uk/
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Real Ale Drinker

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I remember the Saddle and Shovels from my last visit about 4 years ago and remember they were pretty good.
    It is strange though isn't it that a place the size of Blackpool has such a dearth of good pubs.
    I think I will probably have a couple of day trips to Preston and Southport to spice things up a little !!

I lived and worked in Blackpool for a few years and its one of the worst places for finding decent beer.
    Fleetwood used to have some good pubs (The Steamer, North Euston Hotel, Wyre Lounge, Thomas Drummond are fairly close to each other), or take the train to Poulton Le Fylde which has a few pubs within walking distance and is a friendlier place than Blackpool.
    Have a good time.

Been to Blackpool many times in my childhood days.. however I only went to pub once and that's called Yate's. That is it sadly...
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

I see from the latest edition of Wetherspoon News that they are opening a new pub in Blackpool on 2nd July, but I reckon that's probably going to be too late for you.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.