Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Respectable commitment

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Default Respectable commitment

Well I have just had the pleasure of approving John McGraw's photos for his 10,000 pub.

I am actually lost for words

That is some respectable journeying and here's to many more

An Awesome performance and dedication to the cause..

Have a beer on me..
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

Well done that man, I wonder what he will do should he ever get a full set ?

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Well done John. Congratulations. You must be a shoo-in for the first entry into the PuG Hall of Fame!

Incidentally, RogerB must be approaching his 30 000 pint in the line of duty. Does that count?
    Last edited by aleandhearty; 26-05-2010 at 17:09.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Some affable, talkative stranger in the pub recently admitted he told his GP what he actually drank. The doctor told him to stop drinking for six months. This is the first time I have heard such an admission. Like smoking most people even kid themselves as to their true consumption. Blood tests can give your GP a good idea of your drinking habits but there are many other ways we risk our lives. Few doctors tell their customers to stop riding motor bikes or go fell walking in winter. Everything has a risk. Photographing or reviewing pubs are just two ways of taking a walk on the wild side.
    When stepping into a pub never visited before it is a case of exploration. Is it a barren waste and are the natives friendly ? It is up to you the intrepid photographer and reviewer to make that discovery and report back despite the sometimes blackened eyes and broken fingers.

It is a hard road we walk ( except those with bus passes and cheap rail rover tickets ) but we all wish to make a Respectable Commitment.

( Imagine strains of "The Last Post " from a plaintive bugle.)

John's efforts just have to be a labour of love. Most of us will take the odd snap of a pub we don't go in if we happen to be passing, but some of the pubs that John has photographed (and not reviewed) are so out of the way, and on the way to nowhere, that he must have made a special visit solely to photograph the pub. But all power to his elbow (or trigger finger in his case!).

It's some going, well done.

I've given up taking pictures as it took up to much time when I was on a crawl. Also, when I did make the effort whilst on a crawl of North West London JM blitzed the area a week later and posted far better pictures of the pubs.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES