Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: York

Default York

It seems that Mrs R and I are off to York shortly. Although she will undoubtedly have a programme of visits to museums and churches lined up, I am hopeful that there may be a bit of spare time for a visit to a few pubs. We are staying in the centre, quite near the Minster. So, this is where I need a bit of help, as these Northern cities are largely unknown territory to me. Anyone got any suggestions for good pubs to visit?

Many thanks
    Rex

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I'll fish out the list from our stag weekend up there Rex. Due to organisational duties, and being completely mashed by the evening, I unfortunately failed to write a single review but enjoyed (as far as vague memory allows) every pub on the list of 17 (we had to mop up a couple the next day). We also enjoyed a Sunday 'tour' (mostly a talk) at York Brewery - if you get the brewer as guide he has a great dry sense of humour, and beers in the brewery bar afterwards raised some jaded spirits.
    The pubs were mostly small & characterful, no pool tables or even dartboards that I noticed (there was a vague idea about some sporting team challenges) and the beers were consistently fine quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    It seems that Mrs R and I are off to York shortly. Although she will undoubtedly have a programme of visits to museums and churches lined up, I am hopeful that there may be a bit of spare time for a visit to a few pubs. We are staying in the centre, quite near the Minster. So, this is where I need a bit of help, as these Northern cities are largely unknown territory to me. Anyone got any suggestions for good pubs to visit?

Many thanks
    Rex
    Well Rex as York is one of our favourite regular destinations here goes.

Good pubs at the top end of town near the minster.

Minster Inn, Three Legged Mare (aka Wonky Donkey), Guy Fawkes Hotel, Tap & Spile, Maltings.

Middle of town (around Shambles etc)

Last Drop, Yorkshire Terrier, Pivo, Judges Lodgings, Blue Bell.

Other end of town.

Rook & Gaskill, Brigantes, Ackhorne, York Brewery Bar (I'm a member of their club).

For me the must visits are Maltings, Rook & Gaskill, Blue Bell, Brigantes and York Terrier.

This reminds me. I must get round to updating all my York reviews and getting them on here. We were in York last at Easter and I haven't got round to them all yet.

Happy hunting.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Well, I just PMd Rex with our full list, but my condensed recommendations included 4 of ROB's 5, and hondo's Swan!
    The Golden Ball only snuck onto my planned list as a reserve, but was one of my favs on the day.

Yeap what they said, all the best pubs are listed by the guys, BTW the Swan, the Minster, Rook & Gaskill and the Golden Ball don't open till late afternoon during the week.

You might want to download the CAMRA miniguide to central York available here

Real Ale Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Blue Bell.
    The Blue Bell, York. Absolute gem of a pub. Like walking back in time. Do not miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grailhunter View Post
    The Blue Bell, York. Absolute gem of a pub. Like walking back in time. Do not miss it.
    Great pub, shame about Landlord who was very grumpy when I visited.. maybe I caught wrong time and day.

Yorkshire Terrier is great real ale pub and had great chat with local Yorkie

Golden Fleece reputed to be most haunted pub in York. Can be very cramped on nights but they do have 3 real ales.

(All pubs above was in Sept 2006)
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Thanks everyone for your valuable input. I hope to get to some of the best pubs, but as I expected there are far more decent pubs in York than I'll have any chance of visiting in the couple of days that I'll be up there.

If you visit the Yorvik Centre Viking Experience take a gas mask. It has smell effects and Viking Times were pretty pungent. Cannot help with the pubs I visited York before I started collecting them.