Visit the Shut up about Barclay Perkins site

Like my life in general, the blog is hostage to my frantic attempts to finish the Scottish book.

I spent today extracting mashing details and boiling times. What everyone dreams of doing on their day off. Which is what today was for me. My 90% day.

Spent staring at brewing records. The most difficult bit. Exactly why the mashing stuff wasn’t in my standard spreadsheet. Too difficult to neatly record. That said, today’s big revelation came from doing exactly that. Lumping together information in a table. Thank you data.

As important as carving data into edible form is throwing together as many recipes as possible for the book. Noticing the early period was poorly represented, I jumped on this mid-19th-century Stout from William Younger.

The classic pale, brown, black malt combination is complimented by a shitload of hops. The attenuation is surprisingly high for something Scottish.

Have to get back to watching the TV with Dolores. Longish boil, quite warm fermentation. In my book I’ll be going into ball-crushing detail about fermentation temperatures.

OK Dolores. I’m, done.

1851 William Younger DBS Stout
pale malt 13.75 lb 71.43%
brown malt 3.75 lb 19.48%
black malt 1.75 lb 9.09%
Goldings 90 min 4.00 oz
Goldings 60 min 4.00 oz
Goldings 30 min 4.00 oz
OG 1078
FG 1015
ABV 8.33
Apparent attenuation 80.77%