Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 30 May 2010)

My main source of beer this week was courtesy of the Greenwich Beer & Jazz festival on Friday. Fun Lovin' Criminals and the fantastic Hayseed Dixie provide the "Jazz" whilst the stars of the beer tent for me were Milestone Lion's Pride, Otter Bitter, Roosters YPA, Tring Jack O'Legs and my fave of the night Vale Pale Ale. However, all were outdone by Humpty Dumpty Little Sharpie an emergency quick pint at the Rake in Southwark prior to setting off for the England v Mexico game.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

The Goffs Galahad drunk at the Postal Order in Worcester was leading the way but yesterday I found Elgood’s Black Dog in my local JDW. As Mild May month comes to an end I’m going to plump for the Elgood’s Black Dog Mild as my BotW.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Only one MILD drunk this last week of MILD May, Thwaites, not bad but not good enough for beer of the week. Otherwise a fairly unexciting week of Copper Dragon and Black Sheep until I found Skipton's other brewery - Dark Horse and their Maypole a hoppy golden ale but subtle and very pleasant and drinkable.

No BOTW.. I simply don't have time for taste new ales.. All I drank this week was boring Carlings, Fosters, Ciders and few foreign beers name escapes me..
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Late entry.I just managed too get some in last night as the spoons was open when I finished at 23.00 till 01.30 so I had
    2 Pints of Titanic White Star
    2 Pints of York Centurions Ghost Ale
    2 Pints of Lancaster Red Lancaster Brewery

My Favourite this week was the York Centurions Ghost Ale.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Too busy working and made a flying visit to Ireland (Guinness by the gallon ) so BOTW was only had as late as last night at the Seven Stars(as usual) Bristol. RHYMNEY Brewery "1905",excellent hop and malt balance,3.9%.

Noted a certain party on the strong 'un though.............

19 pints for HTM69 this week, spread over a 3-day period.

Elgoods Cambrige Bitter x 1
    Harveys Best Bitter x 4
    Youngs Special x 1
    Adnams Bitter x 1
    London Pride x 1
    Spitfire x 2
    Batemans Miss England x 2
    Batemans Salem Porter x 1
    Stella Artois x 1
    Cottage Brewery Deltic Diesel x 1
    Sharps Doom Bar x 4
    Newcastle Brown Ale [Bottle] x 1
    Vodka & 'Red Rooster' [Double Measure] x 1
    Vodka & Coke [Double Measure] x 1

BOTW: Sharps Doom Bar

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Another week without seeing the inside of a pub. Heavens, this is grim (daaarn south).

Yesterday brought small solace, however, in the shape of an Asda delivery van bearing wine & beer and just 30% of the order missing, this time. (Why does an online system allow you to order summat they haven't got in stock?) Grrr.

Wine-wise, I'd gone for a combo of those with good tasting notes (for which I'm a sucker) and best discount (the weightier factor, eg £7/8 wines at 3 for £12), and I'm ashamed to say I was bearing in mind the abv per £ on some of the beer selections. Those brave bottles that made it onto the waggon (and, btw, why do these supermarkets NEVER include real ale in the get-pissed-for-nowt promotions?) included McEwans Champion; wouldn't ordinarily go for the brewery but it's a rich 7.3% beer with good abv-value at 3 for £4, and (finally) my BOTW from a restricted choice is; Brakspear Triple, 7.2%, also 3 for £4, tasting surprisingly like Dandelion & Burdock at the outset, but hopefully aiding sleep later on.

Quote Originally Posted by an_ecumenical_matter View Post
    Noted a certain party on the strong 'un though.............
    The strong 'un was quite nice, but for some reason by the time I got home I couldn't remember what it was called.
    Last edited by Dave M; 31-05-2010 at 22:03. Reason: Note to self: must stop using the word 'actually'

Not much for me to pick from this week, but thankfully, the few beers I did manage included a couple of crackers.

I really enjoyed the Westerham Freedom Ale at the Royal Standard (Croydon) festival, but my BOTW goes to Fyne Ales Highlander, as samlpled on the shores of Loch Fyne on the Bank Holiday Sunday. A malty ale, full of flavour and with a very smooth mouthfeel - were I not so hungover, I could have sat there drinking them all day!