Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Giving up Cask

This Space For Hire

I as a keg drinker am okay with their choice to drop cask.Why keep losing money producing cask when the pubs feck it up. I had 2 very good beers in the Bull at Highgate this week.They were quite warm which I didn't mind but any warmer and they would only be fit for the drain.This is casks big failing.Camra needs to get back to basics and do something about crap cask.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    So where is her comment on the matter? The link just offers some Cole(-manballs) tweets?

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    So where is her comment on the matter? The link just offers some Cole(-manballs) tweets?
    You have to scroll down 6 or 7 tweets.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    https://twitter.com/MelissaCole/stat...56568227004416

I don't normally agree with totalcurtis but he has some sensible things to say, as do some of the comments here.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    [url

I don't normally agree with totalcurtis but he has some sensible things to say, as do some of the comments here.
    Agreed,some very valid points .CAMRA has a large task ahead if an innovative producer of quality real ale such as Cloudwater abandons cask.Education is important especially with regard to hazy/unfined ales,maybe CAMRA should work with brewers to produce clear notation on the pump clip.Perhaps a CAMRA branded symbol could be developed ?

I would be concerned that the younger generation of beer drinkers,who are seeking innovative brews across a wide range of styles and ABV's ,will one day only find what they want to drink on keg.CAMRA needs to cross the rubicon and admit that not all real ale is a good product.I know that peoples tastes vary enormously but IMHO there are several nationally available real ale brands which,even in peak condition,are rather insipid and give real ale a bad name.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Agreed,some very valid points .CAMRA has a large task ahead if an innovative producer of quality real ale such as Cloudwater abandons cask.Education is important especially with regard to hazy/unfined ales,maybe CAMRA should work with brewers to produce clear notation on the pump clip.Perhaps a CAMRA branded symbol could be developed ?
    Trouble is there is quite a wide divide within CAMRA, many of the old school have their heads in the sand and have no understanding of "modern keg" whatsoever, as far as they are concerned its the same as Watneys,(Doom Bar and London Pride are king) until they give way (or die out) it will be an uphill struggle.There is a younger and more open minded faction but in the main don't hold the strings of power.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

If someone could create a link to Beer Nouveau blog you will see the reality behind the cost of beer for a small brewer. cheers john

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    If someone could create a link to Beer Nouveau blog you will see the reality behind the cost of beer for a small brewer. cheers john
    Is this what you mean?

http://beernouveau.co.uk/blog/

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Agreed,some very valid points .CAMRA has a large task ahead if an innovative producer of quality real ale such as Cloudwater abandons cask.Education is important especially with regard to hazy/unfined ales,maybe CAMRA should work with brewers to produce clear notation on the pump clip.Perhaps a CAMRA branded symbol could be developed ?.
    Certain brewers and pubs don't help themselves by chucking out murky beer with no reference to it at the point of sale and expect the consumer to just suck it up and just accept whatever slop is in the glass. This industry is one of the laziest and pig-headed going when it comes to treating the consumer with respect. The 'like it or lump it' attutude of 30 years ago is still pervaisive.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Certain brewers and pubs don't help themselves by chucking out murky beer with no reference to it at the point of sale and expect the consumer to just suck it up and just accept whatever slop is in the glass. This industry is one of the laziest and pig-headed going when it comes to treating the consumer with respect. The 'like it or lump it' attutude of 30 years ago is still pervaisive.
    And it's also always had more than it's fair share of charlatans and thieves. It's always nice to visit pubs that are honest and up front but I suspect that they are in the minority. Even in the JDW Wanstead George I was given a hopelessly short measure last week and the bar harridan wasn't too pleased at my request for a top up.