Ads not shown when logged in
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: New pub visits 2017

This pub The Hook & Hatchet takes me to 25 for the year,down from 27 last year. I doubt if I'll visit another new one now, unless I really scrape the barrel.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire

Well that's me done for the year.
    76 new pubs out of 400-500 pub visits
    only 530 new beers this year which is a 15 year low but I have been trying to drink more beers that I know are good rather than the lottery of ticking.
    58 new breweries
    no camra fests attended this year
    cheers john

Default New pubs visited in Derby

Still a couple of days to go and I'm on 430. Yesterday's trip to Derby was meant to be a sedate six pubs only, starting with the PotHole micropub (see this thread for what happened there). So I got back on the bus and went to a couple of others in the area - a very nice Ember Inn and possibly the smartest estate pub ever (reviews to follow when I have time). My timetable was seriously disrupted, and it got worse when Google maps misled me into catching a Villager bus for my next pub (I didn't see the small print where it said "plus 15 minute walk") and I ended up at Mickleover, which was lucky as the first two pubs I saw had neither photo nor review on this website. On my return to the city I made the mistake of popping in here to use the toilet and had a half of Bombardier that hadn't been properly pulled through - the beer was in good nick, but there was a residual vinegary taste. My next bus ride took me out to Darley Abbey, where I found the pub I had come to visit was not open when it should have been, while the pub I'd remembered visiting with my brother more than 30 years ago, and which was marked as closed on this site, was in fact open (but obviously didn't count towards my new pubs total). I then caught a bus out to Duffield to pick up the Town Street Tap that I'd missed when I was out this way a couple of weeks ago. (The Derbyshire Wayfarer is a wonderful ticket - I did all these bus rides plus my train from/to Sheffield for only £6.30.) Back in the city I went to the Hairy Dog (with its off-putting poster in the doorway, advising on customer behaviour: "Don't be a cunt") and the Dog & Moon before catching the bus out to the old city boundary for the last two: Bedford Arms and Rowditch Inn. Ten new pubs for the day when I'd only been aiming for six - not a bad day out.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Still a couple of days to go and I'm on 430. Yesterday's trip to Derby was meant to be a sedate six pubs only, starting with the PotHole micropub (see this thread for what happened there). So I got back on the bus and went to a couple of others in the area - a very nice Ember Inn and possibly the smartest estate pub ever (reviews to follow when I have time). My timetable was seriously disrupted, and it got worse when Google maps misled me into catching a Villager bus for my next pub (I didn't see the small print where it said "plus 15 minute walk") and I ended up at Mickleover, which was lucky as the first two pubs I saw had neither photo nor review on this website. On my return to the city I made the mistake of popping in here to use the toilet and had a half of Bombardier that hadn't been properly pulled through - the beer was in good nick, but there was a residual vinegary taste. My next bus ride took me out to Darley Abbey, where I found the pub I had come to visit was not open when it should have been, while the pub I'd remembered visiting with my brother more than 30 years ago, and which was marked as closed on this site, was in fact open (but obviously didn't count towards my new pubs total). I then caught a bus out to Duffield to pick up the Town Street Tap that I'd missed when I was out this way a couple of weeks ago. (The Derbyshire Wayfarer is a wonderful ticket - I did all these bus rides plus my train from/to Sheffield for only £6.30.) Back in the city I went to the Hairy Dog (with its off-putting poster in the doorway, advising on customer behaviour: "Don't be a cunt") and the Dog & Moon before catching the bus out to the old city boundary for the last two: Bedford Arms and Rowditch Inn. Ten new pubs for the day when I'd only been aiming for six - not a bad day out.
    You put me to shame! Picked up Pearson's Arms yesterday unexpectedly.I'd been in on a few occasions , but had never managed to get served before. Brings me to a grand total of 26 out of 103 visits.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    You put me to shame!
    Not at all. It's just about circumstances that left me with a) too much time on my hands and b) in need of something to aim for. Next year I'll be back among the also-rans.
    Come On You Hatters!

Scraped a few out today to bring me up to a round 200.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

7 more in Sheffield mainly on Eccleshall Road sees me creep up to 118.

The final total and the lowest for several years.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This Space For Hire

306 new ones with 368 revisits so 674 pubs altogether. Next year likely to be less.

My final new pub visit of the year (The Dorothy Pax) brings me up to a total of 441.

Happy New Year!
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    My final new pub visit of the year (The Dorothy Pax) brings me up to a total of 441.

Happy New Year!
    An excellent effort Will.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields