Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best pub visited in 2016

This Space For Hire

The Grocers micropub, Cadishead in Salford. The best kept beer I've ever had ( sometimes a problem in other bandwagon micropubs)

A mention too for the Hawkshead Brewery Tap in Staveley, and Smithfield Blackjack Brewery Tap in Manchester's Northern Quarter.
    Last edited by Spinko; 24-12-2016 at 19:41.

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    A clear winner for me this year: The Brace of Pheasants
    You're probably too shy to mention your food pun: "I was tempted by a venison burger, but decided it was too deer." Your final comment "Absolutely wonderful", makes me sad that this pub is probably too remote for me to ever visit.

Reviews like this are what Pubs Galore is all about. "Worst pub of the year" is just a bit of fun - after all, we know there are some dreadful pubs, and some people "running" them [into the ground] who shouldn't really be in this business - but the site's ethos should be all about celebrating what's great about British pub culture. Keep them coming.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post

Reviews like this are what Pubs Galore is all about. "Worst pub of the year" is just a bit of fun - after all, we know there are some dreadful pubs, and some people "running" them [into the ground] who shouldn't really be in this business - but the site's ethos should be all about celebrating what's great about British pub culture. Keep them coming.
    Yes, that's why I'm on the whole loathe to comment in the worst pubs and bloody awful beer of the week threads.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Before doing my pub and beer accounts for the year,I'd suggest that these pubs are in the running, though it probably speaks much about my misanthropy:The Thomas Tallis Alehouse and Dog Hangs Well
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Looking back at those that have scored a '9' this year:

Britannia Inn, Upper Gornal
    The Four Candles Alehouse and Yard of Ale, St Peters
    The Great Western, Wolverhampton
    The Laurieston Bar, Glasgow
    The Malt Shovel Tavern, Northampton
    One Inn the Wood, Petts Wood
    Roscoe Head, Liverpool
    The Sportsman, Huddersfield
    The Wellington, Birmingham
    Wrong Turn, Barfreston

So three East Kent micro-pubs, punching well above their weight against their better-known, big city rivals, but I think its probably a dead heat between the Britannia Inn (which looked good enough to jump off a bus for, and was) and the Laurieston Bar (that doesn't, but which was such a pleasant surprise).

One of the best pubs we have visited in 2016 is The Marlborough Arms

It is a pub that caters to a wide selection of customers, and they have a good selection of ales and ciders.

I'm assuming this is the best new one as otherwise it would just be the Great Western in Wolverhampton every time.
    I was very taken by the Huddersfield Rat & Ratchet, possibly assisted by the sheer awfulness of the previous Lloyds No 1 Lord Wilson. If I go to Huddersfield again there's a serious danger that I'll just stay there until it's time to go for a train. Best of many other contenders is probably the Coopewrs Tavern in Burton.

One of the first visits of 2016 (5th of Jan to be precise) held out everything that came thereafter to win this year's accolade.

A must-visit and thoroughly deserved, my POTY is Aldworth, Berkshire's The Bell. Quinno's review on its page says it all...
    "Breakneck speed we drown ten pints of bitter"

This Space For Hire

I did like the Owl and Pussycat w5 on my two recent visits.It made me realise its nice to slow down and chat to people and made me realise how much I miss going to local pubs and meeting my drinking mates before the Aspergers kicked in.Was going to go there last night but London was calling.