Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Strangest Thing You've Seen in a Pub.

Default Strangest Thing You've Seen in a Pub.

Replying to Conrad's thread on what you'd like to see in a pub, some strange memories arose. Such things as:

A vomitorium. Many years ago in Germany we used to drink in a pub which had a small room next to the bogs with a porcelain vomitorium - a funnel for throwing up into so you could drink more. There were two chrome handles to hold onto to make it more comfortable.

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/16639/ (The Coopers Arms, Rochester) - I'm sure there used to be an embalmed monk in the front bar many years ago, but I can't find any refernce to it anywhere now.

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/41691/ The Haunch of Venison Salisbury - the embalmed hand, supposedly that of a cheating card player.

Any more?

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

My brother-in-law buying a round........no, hang on, it was a dream, it didn't happen.

I'm always on the lookout for odds and sods that clutter up pub walls and shelves. A couple that immediately spring to mind are the Yew Tree at Cauldon Waterhouses near Stoke which is a mass of memorabelia that includes a pair of Queen Victoria's stockings and a pub in Ireland (can't remember exactly where at the moment) that had a whole wall of oddities including an old pound note with 2 different serial numbers.

For "stuff" this pub takes some beating but for incident this was the most strange but disgusting thing,

A quiet morning in the pub, Jim M stood at one end of the bar, Jim G at the other, Jim M sidells up to Jim G with his false teeth in hand; rinses them in Jim G's beer then replaces them. Jim G not unsurprisingly refuses to drink his beer and demands another. Derek the barman then picks up the beer, downs it in one and asks “kippers for breakfast Jim?”, exit Jim G with the words “that's the most disgusting thing I've ever seen in any pub anywhere........ever”

The landlord of the same pub once told me of his experiences in a Pompey pub the night before D-Day - I'll just say it put that pingpong ball turn on "Pheonix Nights" to shame.

A stuffed alligator/ crocodile mounted on the ceiling of the now closed Queens Head in Bromyard. Not exciting but no one ever knew the story of how it got there. Dead men in the bar ...I have seen a couple but not the female of the species.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Strange things in a pub , try this place http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/57899/
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    Strange things in a pub , try this place http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/57899/
    Oh yes I agree with you Oggy, add the Gifford in Wolverhampton and you've got a pair!
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

I've seen a man walk through a pub holding a newspaper in one hand and some potted plastic flowers in the other whilst wearing a dressing gown. The locals didn't bat an eyelid and he didn't emerge from the toilet by the time I left twenty minutes later.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Pit and Pendulum in Nottingham.

I had a pint in there and needed a wee so I went looking for gents.. one min later no success.. 5 min later I was getting desperate by that time so I gave up and asked the landlord. He pointed me that there is secret door! I found it and it was disguised as bookcase!
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    I went looking for gents.. I found it and it was disguised as bookcase!
    Quality! That's gotta have some mileage in it.
    Suggestions please as to what literary volumes might populate this bookcase, and what title might belong to the secret tome which grants access to the chamber beyond...?