Ads not shown when logged in
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Strangest Thing You've Seen in a Pub.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Alesonly View Post
    I know Wetherspoons like open plan Toilets but I think this is going a bit too far. I went into my local Wetherspoons on Sunday and noticed there was no door on the only cubical in the gents four days later yesterday Wednesday its still the same and it has not been replaced yet. According too the member of staff I asked someone took it on Saturday evening.
    What? Someone nicked the bog door? How did they get it home? They'll never let you on the bus with a pub bog door. Or did they fence it off to another pub who'd had their bog door nicked?

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    What? Someone nicked the bog door? How did they get it home? They'll never let you on the bus with a pub bog door. Or did they fence it off to another pub who'd had their bog door nicked?
    This reminds me of the days when I first started drinking (early 1980s). I went to a party in a local scouts hall and won booby prize in the raffle, a toliet seat. Being a beginner and not being able to hold my drink, I decided to put it around my neck for the walk home. It was cold so I took a shortcut across a large roundabout/ringroad only to bump into a patrolling police car on the other side. I don't know how I persuaded them to let me sleep in my own bed that night but I did.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paris_Hilton View Post
    T. I don't know how I persuaded them to let me sleep in my own bed that night but I did.
    That must have been a first Paris
    Last edited by Farway; 18-02-2011 at 13:17.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alesonly View Post
    I know Wetherspoons like open plan Toilets but I think this is going a bit too far. I went into my local Wetherspoons on Sunday and noticed there was no door on the only cubical in the gents four days later yesterday Wednesday its still the same and it has not been replaced yet. According too the member of staff I asked someone took it on Saturday evening.
    Maybe they wanted to practice their art work at homeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Sir-Loin---Southsea-06.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	181.4 KB 
ID:	496

Pub is Sirloin of Beef, the bog doors have all sorts of murals on them, at back past White Ensign, doors on left & right

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    it wasn't me! - historically, I BELIEVE, the BC stopped short of the town of Walsall, but extended into Bloxwich, which is in the parish of Walsall - the BC followed the open cast coal fields, hence Bloko was in (visit the lamp tavern!). Since the 1960s, when Walsall Corportation took over Darlaston and Willenhall UDC's (that were in the BC) it has almost become a given the Walsall is now in the BC - even though part of the authority Aldridge and Brownhill still lies outside.

Anyhow, i dont care, i am from Lichfield!
    Just digging up an old argument (maybe we can continue it on 5th October). Last night's Express and Star ran a piece on what the boundaries of the Black Country are. There are several takes on it.

Local authorities tend to refer to Dudley, Wolverhampton, Sandwell and Walsall as the Black Country. Given the relative size of Birmingham City Council (compared to any local authority anywhere) I can understand why the 4 West Midlands local authorities to the north and west of Birmingham find a common term so that they are not dwarfed by their neighbour.

According to a recent E&S handbook, which refers to the coal seam, the Black Country is Dudley, Tipton, West Bromwich, Willenhall and Bilston at its heart with Bloxwich, Blackheath and Sedgely on the periphery and then Stourbridge and Wednesfield partly in and partly out but Smethwick, Wolverhampton and Walsall outside.

Ask different people and you will get different answers but few will dispute that Dudley, Netherton, Cradley, Cradley Heath and Old Hill are definitely in.

I think it's defined historically by features such as heavy industry reliant on manual labour such as coal mining, blast furnaces and chain making, the cut (the canal to those outside of the region) and the dialect much of which is fading as time moves on and people move about so the boundaries become less clear.
    Waes hael!