Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst pub you've visited in 2016

Default Worst pub you've visited in 2016

I waited until very close to the end of the year to find this, but step forward The Workers in Whitworth.

I've passed this place on many occasions, but last night I faltered and went in.

A grade 1 shithole that the Als (10000 & Bundy) would be proud to have visited.

Come on guys give it a go it's well up there in the top 10 worst I've EVER visited.

Actually come to think of it that sounds like another thread.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Its probably this one.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Its probably this one.
    Moby, can you really rate a pub without drinking in it.Its rare for you to say you didn't have a drink in any pub but it might be the best pint of Courage -best you had in a long time.I only rate pubs that I have had a drink in as good beer can change a rating upwards while bad beer can def knock a few points off.I often stand outside that pub waiting for a 65 bus and have never been tempted to try it.cheers

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Moby, can you really rate a pub without drinking in it.Its rare for you to say you didn't have a drink in any pub but it might be the best pint of Courage -best you had in a long time.I only rate pubs that I have had a drink in as good beer can change a rating upwards while bad beer can def knock a few points off.I often stand outside that pub waiting for a 65 bus and have never been tempted to try it.cheers
    I don't normally but in this case I went in stood at the bar to be served and fortunately service was slack and I had time to reconsider, you might be right about the Courage Best, but I suspect the rating would have dropped to 1/10,I saw enough of the pub to rate it,beer tasting aside,I take your point and it could possibly be a travesty of justice,I somehow doubt it. My decision stands.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 18-12-2016 at 07:26.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Two quite recent visits are vying for this dubious award,here in Stevenage and this charming spot in Yeovil.

Both had real ale close to undrinkable.I'll give it to the Lloyds No. 1,just.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

The White Hart No contest.
    Ok, maybe just for one......................

Default Olde alehouse goes down the drain...

I've just seen it reported that the once-famed Whitefriars Olde Alehouse in Coventry has "gone bust" - which, based on my early 2106 re-visit (which, having re-read my review, should really have scored a generous 2), is frankly no surprise. Still sad, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Two quite recent visits are vying for this dubious award,here in Stevenage and this charming spot in Yeovil.

Both had real ale close to undrinkable.I'll give it to the Lloyds No. 1,just.
    Last year I had a lucky escape with the Stevenage one as I just took a picture and decided not to bother trying it.

Things are looking up on the Lloyds No 1 front as quite a few have closed or have been sold on during the last year or so. My worst pub is also a Lloyds the Lord Wilson in Huddersfield. The whole place was a complete shambles with uncleared tables, poor beer choice, rank beer and for some reason two projector screens showing the Trooping Of the Colour which nobody was watching. The irony of this disaster was that the next pub visited the Rat and Ratchet was one of my favourites of the year. I stopped for three there!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    I've just seen it reported that the once-famed Whitefriars Olde Alehouse in Coventry has "gone bust" - which, based on my early 2106 re-visit (which, having re-read my review, should really have scored a generous 2), is frankly no surprise. Still sad, though.
    Agreed very sad,great interior but clearly problems on the operational front.Hope a new owner/tenant can breathe life back into this pub.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    I know these things happen but I must have hit it on a good day and time, I thought it was excellent, but I thought the same about the Moo Bar in Carlisle!