Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Other than beer what should be in a pub?

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    On the food subject I noticed on my Cornwall trip that they all seem to have chocy bars. like Mars, Kit Kat etc for sale behind the bar, not something I have noticed round here. Is this common or I have just been asleep?
    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    I'm surprised to see Dave hasn't joined in on the chocolate votes.
    I really don't approve of chocolate behind the bar, and particularly if it is kept in the fridge. It is just far too tempting!!

I cant say I've particularly noticed it in Cornwall, obviously I'm not paying enough attention so I'll keep a closer eye out on my next trip.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I remember when you discovered that they had started doing it at The Sportsman, we were all shocked when you wondered back with a chocolate bar as well as beer with your round.
    Last edited by Conrad; 21-05-2010 at 12:03. Reason: Clearly I don't remember as I got the name wrong, damn absent mind

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    I'm going to have to note down all these Manchester pubs, will give me something to do when we next visit the in-laws. Did get taken out to a Sci-Fi bar there a few years ago which was brilliant fun, I don't remember any Real Ales (or even Romulan ones) though.

I'm surprised to see Dave hasn't joined in on the chocolate votes.

Definitely agree with Oggy in mentioning friendly staff as well, friendly bar staff will make me forget many sins.
    That would probably be FAB Cafe. Daleks, Thunderbirds, Star Trek etc.

TV21 is similar but hasn't been around as long.

Neither sell any good beer and both are a bit shabby now.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

The Westminster (strangely enough in Westminster) used to be a Star Trek Theme bar. It was called Pages Bar in those days which is a bit of a waste of someone's imagination.

Real Ale Drinker

I notice no one has mentioned a pool table. Is it just me or do these things detract from a good pub ?
    The pub I was in last night was trying to run a quiz but the quiz master had to constantly keep asking the pool players to try and keep the noise down. I was there for an hour or so and during that time not one of the group of six playing pool bought a drink.
    I just think they should be in clubs or games arcades.
    Snooker tables are different though. Although very rare I do like to see snooker tables in pubs. Altogether much more civilised. I think the Lamb in Eccles had a snooker table when I last visited (or was it just that they had a snooker room ?).

Quote Originally Posted by Grailhunter View Post
    I notice no one has mentioned a pool table.
    Conrad metioned it in his opening address!

I personally don't like pool tables in the main body of a pub. If there has to be one it should be in a designated room away from everything else.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Conrad metioned it in his opening address!

I personally don't like pool tables in the main body of a pub. If there has to be one it should be in a designated room away from everything else.
    Beat me to it Roger, I love pool tables, but agree with you that they need to be segregated in some way, and also preferably with a meter and a half between the table and nearest wall.

My normal pool haunt The Sportsman is basically a pool hall, but it does have areas away from all the pool tables where you can drink. And a second pub The Annexe next door where you can enjoy a beer.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

The long gone Green Man in Wellington had a pool table in a a very small room , some shots had to be played holding the toilet door open with one foot so you could get a decent angle , it was much like the classic Steptoe and Son , Snooker table episode
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

This Space For Hire

Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    The long gone Green Man in Wellington had a pool table in a a very small room , some shots had to be played holding the toilet door open with one foot so you could get a decent angle , it was much like the classic Steptoe and Son , Snooker table episode
    Well this should keep people amused for half an hour then!...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tvvM...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oZIg...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwCKw...eature=related