Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Other than beer what should be in a pub?

Pork scratchings

Friendly, attentive bar staff

Carpet - I feel more at home in the lounge than the bar

Clean bogs - I'm put off by smelly bogs, wet floors, no running water or soap - it says a lot about the place

Somewhere for me to sit down - I drink too my beer quickly if I'm standing up, especially if I can't put my drink down
    Waes hael!

Music is a bit of a trap in a pub much like anywhere else. My one stepson plays music that really gives me deppression. If that was played in a pub I was in I would hit the scotch in no time at all. Rap also drives me nuts. Middle of the road stuff from 60s, 70s and 80s I can live with but may drive other customers balmy. So I say no music for everyones sanity.
    Pub games are OK as long as the bar area is big enough but these days the mobile phone seems to have superceeded everything. Customers stare at these little magic boxes oblivious to their mates around them.Gossip is transferred electronically which is a real pain to eavesdroppers like me. My hearing is crap when someone next to me is talking but I can easily pick out a conversation across the room.
    Clean toilets and comfortable chairs would be nice but I always live in hope. A smile from behind the bar can make up for any number of short comings.

A newspaper for customers to read is usually a good sign, and double points for the Morning Advertiser or The Publican. Better still, a supply of the local CAMRA branch newsletters.

Other than beer what should be in a pub?

I would like too see some proper Tables & Chairs NOT Sofas
    A good carpet & Traditional Surroundings
    Dart Board & Snooker Table If Room
    Real Pint Dimple Jugs
    Hot Pies & Toasted Sandwiches (No fancy crap)
    (For Smokers A dedicated Smoking Room)
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

I really miss those hot pies from the 60s and 70s. Stuck in the hot glass case for hours ( DAYS ? ) on end. Pastry like cardboard and filling like nut brittle. What do we get offered now ?.....Pancettas and Wraps ! This was not the stuff that made Britain great.

I am a great fan of really good pies. My girth will testify to that. I would love to see a return to traditional snacks in pubs but without the health risks of the past.

DARTBOARD with an oche and plenty of chalk

Crusty ham or cheese rolls for a pound

Contentious I know but - a flat screen TV with Sky Sports - granted it should be turned off when there is nothing on.

soap, hot water, hand drying implement, toilet seat, lock on the door, toilet paper, door on the cubicle - yes I have seen everyone of these lacking on my travels.

Proper bar stools (none of this heavy modern stuff) only found at the bar.

Govial Landlord with a general disregard for compulsery closing times when the need arises.

Covered area for smokers away from the door

Tins of snuff

Mini Cheddars

A veteran drinker who everyone respects but cannot understand
    Last edited by Strongers; 20-05-2010 at 22:48. Reason: mentioned beer
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

[QUOTE=Strongers;13067]DARTBOARD with an oche and plenty of chalk

soap, hot water, hand drying implement, toilet seat, lock on the door, toilet paper, door on the cubicle - yes I have seen everyone of these lacking on my travels.

I like this one. One Wetherspoons I went to there was a door missing off one, a loo seat off another, no light in one, no paper in most, no paper or holder in one, no locks on a few doors. I checked and found it is inspected every hour. They didn't seem to see why I queried the eyesight of the toilet checker - no sense of humour some folk.

With chain pubs I find a letter to the Customer Services can bring results .Tenanted pubs you quite often waste your breath or get marked as a trouble maker.

Pub Sofas ! Where do they get'em ? When they arrive the things are already worn out.Within what seems days the covering is split exposing parts of the chassis which grabs at clothing or flesh. They encourage horizontal drinking as you slide into that position because all support has gone. However some exibitionist customers do like to get down to it while the rest of us wonder where else to look. Being too low some of us find entry and exit to the things undignified. Like that other waste of space THE LOW STOOL things get uncomfortable if one has a weak bladder or enlarged prostrate.

Give me a nice club chair as long as the seat is wide enough to accommodate my broad posterior. I hate seats made using Economy Air Travel dimensions.

As to to crusty rolls. Down amongst the new apartment blocks of 1 and 2 bed flats in the Diglis Canal Basin Worcester is a solitary old fashioned pub , the name of which eludes me. It is well worth visiting for the bread rolls with simple fillings. Cheese, Onion, Ham and some salad or chutney. All at prices which will not empty your pocket. If you visit during the day day you will likely meet normal human beings discussing horses or football . Dread to think what the conversation is in the evening.Long may this little pub survive as it is but worry it may turn into a themed wine bar.

Bowl of water for the dog.

Coat hooks (especially when it's raining).

Prat Ejection System

Roast potatoes on the bar on Sundays

Chocolate to keep Mrs A quiet.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Lass O Gowrie in Manchester.

Centurian in Newcastle again.

Barrels in Berwick.
    I'm going to have to note down all these Manchester pubs, will give me something to do when we next visit the in-laws. Did get taken out to a Sci-Fi bar there a few years ago which was brilliant fun, I don't remember any Real Ales (or even Romulan ones) though.

I'm surprised to see Dave hasn't joined in on the chocolate votes.

Definitely agree with Oggy in mentioning friendly staff as well, friendly bar staff will make me forget many sins.