Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Other than beer what should be in a pub?

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Default Other than beer what should be in a pub?

Just some idle thought having slightly derailed the beer token thread, I was just wondering what people thought was good in a pub (or not), off the top of my head some things.

Dartboard - never played so quite indifferent.

Bar billiards - think I have only seen this a couple of times in a pub, would be interested to learn it though.

Table football - Damn it! Why does everyone just resort to spinning them

Pool - used to play every week and a major reason for going to the pub when I was younger.

Pinball - I really enjoy pinball, and yet can't think of any pubs I know that still have a table, used to love playing it after a few lubricatory drinks. Would love to get a table if I ever end up with a house with enough space.

Jukebox - again, I quite enjoy a bit of music, but can't abide it when there is nowhere in the pub where you can be heard, should definitely be areas in any pub where you don't have to raise your voice.

Fruit machines - not really a fan, have been known to be briefly hypnotised by the flashing lights when drunk though.

Quiz machines - the actual quiz machines can be quite good fun with a good bunch of you crowded round proving how lacking in knowledge you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Pinball - I really enjoy pinball, and yet can't think of any pubs I know that still have a table, used to love playing it after a few lubricatory drinks. Would love to get a table if I ever end up with a house with enough space.
    Corbieres and TV21 in Manchester still have them.

Centurian in Newcastle still does as well.

Please can we have some more landlords?
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Bit far for me to travel, good to know they still exist though.

And what is wrong with managers?

Some customers would be a good start!

I love a good jukebox - and imo, there are times when they are essential to me. My Saturday night visits to the Nags Head (Rochester) just wouldn't be the same without a healthy dose of Rolling Stones, Cream, Led Zep, The Clash and The Smiths.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

If I'm honest, I'm indifferent to most of them apart from quiz machines and juke boxes. Even then, I think the magic largely died with the passing of the vinyl playing behemoths. I remember that in the seventies a pub's reputation was greatly enhanced just by having a decent selection of music.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I am indifferent to all of them, plus the universal large screen TV showing mostly football. As I mentioned on another thread I was once a repairer of fruit machines & the like, I guess it is a bit like working in a chocolate factory, get sick of the product in the end

One thing I would add as required is food, now this could just be crisps or a 5* nosh.

On the food subject I noticed on my Cornwall trip that they all seem to have chocy bars. like Mars, Kit Kat etc for sale behind the bar, not something I have noticed round here. Is this common or I have just been asleep?

A sit down Space Invaders machine.

Perhaps not.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossste View Post
    A sit down Space Invaders machine.

Perhaps not.
    Lass O Gowrie in Manchester.

Centurian in Newcastle again.

Barrels in Berwick.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

I dont mind a Jukebox as long as its at a decent volume so you can still talk , and has not been hijacked by the Landladys kids so it blasts out hardcore dance music in a traditional pub whos regulars think Daniel O`Donnell is a bit modern (i speak from experience)
    I enjoy a game of darts and i like the odd game of Dominoes(getting old) , but the most important thing is Atmosphere , a good landlord and decent locals can make a pub worth a visit even if the beers crap
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !