Ads not shown when logged in
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Next PuG pub crawl(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    I'm not sure if there's much mileage in going further north than Clapton Square which is a relatively short walk from Hackney Central overground station. There's The Anchor & Hope at the extreme end, but is anyone devoted to visiting The Crooked Billet? I too would suggest that we go from north to south, both for ease of getting home and also because the northern end of the 38 route isn't the most 'peaceful' of areas after dark.

If you have a smartphone, then Bus Mate (free) is a good app to have for arrival times and just to clarify, you don't need an Oyster card anymore unless you don't have a UK bank account; all you need is a contactless bank card.
    We haven't heard anything further about plans for this day out in London for a while. I presume John is too busy compiling his route of pubs along the 38 bus route to have time to spare to post on the thread. So I thought I'd kick-start the discussion again.

I agree that starting at the north and working our way back into the city seems the sensible approach. The nearest real ale pub to the northern end of the 38 bus route appears to be The Clapton Hart. The last stop of the 38 bus is stop L on Lower Clapton Road, a few yards from the pub, which opens at 12 noon on Saturdays.

For those who want an earlier drink, there's a Wetherspoons on Liverpool Street station, with trains every 15 minutes to Clapton station (takes 10 minutes), which is just over the roundabout from the Clapton Hart, about a five minute walk.

I've been looking at trains to get me to/from London on 25th March. I can get one that arrives at St Pancras at 11:30, then underground to Highbury and Islington, then train to Hackney Central arriving at 11:58. It's then a 15 minute walk or 10 minute bus ride. Unless an earlier start is suggested? I don't think that would be fair on Old Boots and others who might be coming from even further away than Sheffield! So I'm going to book my trains and hope to see you all at the Clapton Hart between 12:10 and 12:30ish, depending on the punctuality of the trains.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Unless an earlier start is suggested? I don't think that would be fair on Old Boots and others who might be coming from even further away than Sheffield! So I'm going to book my trains and hope to see you all at the Clapton Hart between 12:10 and 12:30ish, depending on the punctuality of the trains.
    Bless you for thinking of me, I will travel down on Friday and visit some of the pubs on my to do list that evening. On Saturday I'll meet up with the assembly at the Clapton Hart early doors or maybe at a 'spoons for a nourishing breakfast prior to starting. I plan to travel back on Sunday as I sometimes have trouble finding stations after one of these occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I plan to travel back on Sunday as I sometimes have trouble finding stations after one of these occasions.
    Can't understand why.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I can get one that arrives at St Pancras at 11:30, then underground to Highbury and Islington, then train to Hackney Central arriving at 11:58. It's then a 15 minute walk or 10 minute bus ride.... and hope to see you all at the Clapton Hart between 12:10 and 12:30ish, depending on the punctuality of the trains.
    I've now found a cheaper train that should get into London earlier (Kings Cross via Doncaster, rather than St Pancras direct) and I should be at the Clapton Hart by opening time.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

I have already planned some pub visits around Clapton but notice the pubs don't open till 12.00.Thought like SH anyone wanting an early drink or to tick the pub could meet at Hamilton Hall then get the train to Clapton.

The Clapton Hart makes sense as an official start point, I have no problem travelwise with an earlier start although wasn't impressed with The Hamilton Hall beer wise the last time a few of us met up there, a nice place to have a look at if you've not been before though.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

The idea was to do a crawl using the 38 bus.Maybe 50 within a few minutes walk of a bus stop but we have collectively done most of them so looking at pubs less well visited but worth seeking out.Regular London reviewers may have to put up with a few re -reviews. I am going up to Clapton on Friday night as the Mermaid has reverted back to a pub (craft keg only) and have a tap take over by Unity brewery a new brewer from Southampton. Will let you know this weekend which pubs are on the list and we can tweak it. cheers john

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    The idea was to do a crawl using the 38 bus.Maybe 50 within a few minutes walk of a bus stop but we have collectively done most of them so looking at pubs less well visited but worth seeking out.Regular London reviewers may have to put up with a few re -reviews. I am going up to Clapton on Friday night as the Mermaid has reverted back to a pub (craft keg only) and have a tap take over by Unity brewery a new brewer from Southampton. Will let you know this weekend which pubs are on the list and we can tweak it. cheers john
    No problem for me with revisits, a good day out is good enough.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Am looking at travelling down Thu or Fri, so an early start on Sat is fine for us
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    The idea was to do a crawl using the 38 bus.Maybe 50 within a few minutes walk of a bus stop
    Good grief!
    Come On You Hatters!