Ads not shown when logged in
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Next PuG pub crawl(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    There's a stopping train that leaves Shrewsbury at 47 minutes past each hour (though why I'm writing this in response to someone whose sobriquet is Trainman is beyond me). It takes 12 minutes to Wellington, then Oakengates (5 minutes), Shifnal (7 minutes), Albrighton (8 minutes), Codsall (5 minutes) and finally Wolverhampton (9 minutes). (I've left out the stops at Telford, Cosforth and Bilbrook.)
    So that gives us a pretty straightforward timetable:

Depart Shrewsbury 12:47
    Arrive Wellington 12:59
    Arrive Oakengates 14:05
    Arrive Shifnal 15:13
    Arrive Albrighton 16:21
    Arrive Codsall 17:27
    Arrive Wolverhampton 18:36

Anyone who needs to get an earlier train home can maybe skip Codsall?
    Come On You Hatters!

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Shrewsbury really deserves a day to itself , so i would miss that out and start in Wellington , there are trains from Birmingham and Manchester that arrive at 11.59 , to save drinking time it may be worth getting a plus-bus ticket , it will save a 10/15 minute walk to the Cock Hotel and the bus stop is right outside so you can be in Oakengates by the time you have walked back to the station .
    A couple of hours in Oakengates then train to Shifnal , late leavers can the head to Codsall or Albrighton and early ones to Wolverhampton for connecting trains .
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    Shrewsbury really deserves a day to itself , so i would miss that out and start in Wellington , there are trains from Birmingham and Manchester that arrive at 11.59 .
    The train from Manchester to Wellington involves a change at Shrewsbury! I hear what you say about taking a whole day to do Shrewsbury - anyone who wants to could stay over and do it on the Thursday before or the Saturday after. For me, I'd prefer to arrive on the 11:37 and do a couple of pubs before catching the 12:47 on to Wellington.

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    to save drinking time it may be worth getting a plus-bus ticket , it will save a 10/15 minute walk to the Cock Hotel and the bus stop is right outside so you can be in Oakengates by the time you have walked back to the station .
    I'm keen to do the Cock as the police wouldn't let Luton fans in there when we played at AFC Telford.

I'm a bit wary of plus bus tickets, as there are usually restrictions on which buses you can use with them, and it always seems to be the bus that you want that's one of the exclusions! Do you know for sure that a train ticket to Wellington with plus bus will be valid on the bus to Oakengates? If so, that would be a good way of doing this section of the route.
    Come On You Hatters!

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

You could always go oldschool and just pay on the bus , think its about £2.40 to Oakengates , if i am up that way i normally have a Day Saver Ticket which is about £4 and allows travel all over telford .
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

ATW trains to Brum also go from Shrewsbury to Wellington. They are roughly hourly and generally leave just after half past.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    ATW trains to Brum also go from Shrewsbury to Wellington. They are roughly hourly and generally leave just after half past.
    Thanks for that. I didn't see those as I was looking at stopping trains between Shrewsbury and Wolverhampton, thinking in terms of making one ticket cover all the individual journeys. Wellington is the only stop before Wolverhampton (apart from Telford which we won't want anyway) on the Arriva Trains Wales services you refer to, so would only be handy for the first section of the pub crawl.

Where's that bloody Trainman when you need him?
    Come On You Hatters!

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Where's that bloody Trainman when you need him?
    He's watching through weary post-semi eyes, pah!. Admittedly not looked at best train options until the local vote supports best pub options...
    I have £4 ew Brum tkts 01Jul, was wondering about a jaunt out from the usual that day. Any decent collection ~30mins in any direction?

I'm a bit wary of plus bus tickets, as there are usually restrictions on which buses you can use with them, and it always seems to be the bus that you want that's one of the exclusions! Do you know for sure that a train ticket to Wellington with plus bus will be valid on the bus to Oakengates? If so, that would be a good way of doing this section of the route.
    All the details here (http://www.plusbus.info/telford), including price (£3.50), zone diagram (which includes Oakengates) and list of participating operators (Arriva only).

Wellington is the only stop before Wolverhampton (apart from Telford which we won't want anyway) on the Arriva Trains Wales services you refer to, so would only be handy for the first section of the pub crawl.
    That's correct and they are a better option if travelling from Brum or Wolverhampton rather than the stopping train. There are a couple of Virgin services which should stop at Wellington. I had a look at the Shrewsbury Premier Inn and the prices are silly for that time in August. It must be because of the school holidays as it's been cheap when I've stayed there.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    He's watching through weary post-semi eyes, pah!. Admittedly not looked at best train options until the local vote supports best pub options...
    I have £4 ew Brum tkts 01Jul, was wondering about a jaunt out from the usual that day. Any decent collection ~30mins in any direction?
    Lichfield?, Burton?, Stourbridge?