Ads not shown when logged in
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Next PuG pub crawl(s)

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Had a think about it and came up with this ,

Wellington meet up The William Withering (JD Wetherspoon) then head to The Pheasant for 1ish to meet up with Shrewsbury group . Then either a 10/15 minute stroll or 2 minute bus ride to Cock Hotel and wildcard The Railway

Then 10/15 minute bus ride to Oakengates and its Golden Triangle(Copyright Mr A Lung) for Station Hotel , Old Fighting Cocks , Crown Inn and wildcard Alexandra Inn

Catch 16.05 train to Shifnal for The Plough Inn and The White Hart and wildcard Odfellows

17.13 Train to Albrighton for Platform Ale House or to Codsall for
    The Station

The next train is about 18.15 so people may start heading home , late leavers may want to visit The Great Western

Any one wanting to stay over there is a Premier Inn right by Telford Station plus the ones previously mentioned and plenty of other B&Bs and Hotels all along the route .
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post

Wellington meet up The William Withering (JD Wetherspoon) then head to The Pheasant for 1ish to meet up with Shrewsbury group . Then either a 10/15 minute stroll or 2 minute bus ride to Cock Hotel and wildcard The Railway

Then 10/15 minute bus ride to Oakengates and its Golden Triangle(Copyright Mr A Lung) for Station Hotel , Old Fighting Cocks , Crown Inn and wildcard Alexandra Inn

Catch 16.05 train to Shifnal for The Plough Inn and The White Hart and wildcard Odfellows

The Station

The next train is about 18.15 so people may start heading home , late leavers may want to visit The Great Western

Any one wanting to stay over there is a Premier Inn right by Telford Station plus the ones previously mentioned and plenty of other B&Bs and Hotels all along the route .
    I'm fully booked up in June and July with the Spoons Grand Tour, I'm in the Scottish Borders that week. The route is more or less as I'd envisaged it, There are two other potential wild cards at Codsall for those on halves and who can walk at something a bit better than a snails pace. This one as the new name says is now a Joules pub and the Bull opposite seemed to bear some resemblance to Banks's pubs before the disastrous merging and rebranding. The GBG listed Firs Club in Codsall is a waste of time IMO. In Clubland the Kinver Constitutional reigns supreme.
    That Golden Triangle tag was something I encountered in the early 1980s. It originally referred to somewhere or other in Asia where there was a huge illicit opium production. In the countryside to the North of Chelmsford there was a triangle formed by A roads that contained a substantial number of Ridley's pubs and the Redbridge cycling club dubbed it the "Ridley's Golden Triangle". It's not actually an original thought from my warped mind!

The Station

Looking good!

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned there's an Arriva Trains Wales train from Shrewsbury to Wellington - I've just looked it up and there's one at 12:33 arriving in Wellington at 12:45. This could bring our time at the Pheasant forward to about 12:50 rather than your 1ish, which I would suggest gives us a better chance of arriving at the Golden Triangle with plenty of time to do all three pubs before the 16:05 train.

One other suggestion: could we squeeze in a visit to The Wrekin? I've been there a couple of times and liked it a lot. It involves walking to the Cock rather than catching a bus. What do you think? Maybe as a wild card for those who don't mind a bit of extra walking.
    Come On You Hatters!

No problem adding the Wrekin, i only left it out due to limited time , it is only a 10 minute walk to the Cock from there if you cut through the Roseway .

As an aside a Black Country(Tipton?) CAMRA group tried a similar rail ale crawl on Saturday , starting in Shrewsbury , they got to Oakengates mid afternoon and were there till half past eight then went straight to Wolverhampton , its less Golden Triangle more Bermuda Triangle , people on pub crawls lose hours here

It's less Golden Triangle more Bermuda Triangle , people on pub crawls lose hours here
    This made a miserable old git laugh a lot!

23rd looks good to me, I will book it off at work!

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

For anyone travelling from this direction it looks cheaper to buy train-specific singles to/from Birmingham, then a day-return Brum>Shrews or Wellington, which you'll be able to use as a hop-on hop-off ('breaking your journey') on way back to Brum.

Looks like I'm in Hampshire that day so sadly won't be able to join in.
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

If you are splitting the journey into individual bits when you get to Birmingham or Shrewsbury if there are 3 or more of you on the same train you can get a group/family ticket which saves around a third of the fare .

Birmingham - Wellington return individual £10.60
    Birmingham - Wellington return 3 adults £21

That saving works out at 3 pints and a bag of scratchings

Its less Golden Triangle more Bermuda Triangle , people on pub crawls lose hours here
    They also lose their minds and lose themselves! I ended up (was woken up ) in Chester with an expensive taxi ride back to Wales.

But I did the crawl backwards, so I should have no trouble doing if forwards!
    Last edited by AlanH; 28-05-2017 at 16:12.