Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Next PuG pub crawl(s)

Default Next PuG pub crawl(s)

As mentioned here, one pub crawl is barely half-way through before talk inevitably turns to the next one. See post #122 onwards in the linked thread.

In fact, the possibility of a London crawl by public transport has already been raised (see this thread).

What may also be of interest is a leaflet I saw in a few pubs in Lancaster on Saturday, Lancaster Northern City of Ale. See the website NorthernCityofAle.co.uk for more details. Trains to Lancaster from the south can be pretty quick. Cheapest advance fares appear to be £20 in each direction, though, so this may make it a bit pricey.

Anyone else got any ideas?
    Come On You Hatters!

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I only mapped six in Lancaster on a recent October visit, and didn't think any were worth writing home about tbh...

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    In fact, the possibility of a London crawl by public transport has already been raised (see this thread).
    Ah, I hadn't associated the London suggestion with an 'official' PG crawl, but rather an idea if any southern contingent were kicking their heels...

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Ah, I hadn't associated the London suggestion with an 'official' PG crawl, but rather an idea if any southern contingent were kicking their heels...
    Consider my heels kicked.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

I only mapped six in Lancaster on a recent October visit, and didn't think any were worth writing home about tbh...
    None of them were worth writing home about?

The Bobbin, The Borough, the Brown Cow Inn, the George & Dragon, the Golden Lion, Merchants 1688, the Ring O'Bells, The Sun Hotel & Bar, The Tap House, The Three Mariners, the Toll House Inn, the Wagon & Horses, The Water Witch, the White Cross, Ye Olde John O'Gaunt, the Yorkshire House; ok it's not York, so the "northern city of ale" soubriquet is a little over the top (though as a marketing ploy, "not quite as good as York" doesn't quite hit the mark, does it), and some of these would be wild cards rather than must visits, especially if you're not a fan of Robinsons or Thwaites; but which six did you visit?
    Come On You Hatters!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

None of them were worth writing home about?

The Bobbin, The Borough, the Brown Cow Inn, the George & Dragon, the Golden Lion, Merchants 1688, the Ring O'Bells, The Sun Hotel & Bar, The Tap House, The Three Mariners, the Toll House Inn, the Wagon & Horses, The Water Witch, the White Cross, Ye Olde John O'Gaunt, the Yorkshire House; ok it's not York, so the "northern city of ale" soubriquet is a little over the top (though as a marketing ploy, "not quite as good as York" doesn't quite hit the mark, does it), and some of these would be wild cards rather than must visits, especially if you're not a fan of Robinsons or Thwaites; but which six did you visit?
    That's great research ,maybe Lancaster should be considered when pondering the next northern crawl ?

Coming back to the 38 bus,there were five expressions of interest from what I could see,does this idea command wider support ?
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post

Coming back to the 38 bus,there were five expressions of interest from what I could see,does this idea command wider support ?
    Thread here.
    Originally suggested by Will on the yet another list thread.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 24-11-2016 at 17:46.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

but which six did you visit?
    Bobbin had an ok line up, and a dartboard, but had some ear bleeding heavy metal screeching screaming sh1te so consistently abusing us that we had one pint and fled. Only the barmaid and one fella at the bar, I think I see why.
    Sun, good number of pumps without a stand out choice for me (hoppy) or RJ (malty). Dark/dingy in the bar area which was showing the England game without volume and the screen virtually invisible behind the tactical hanging lights obliterating it.
    Borough, yes, gentlemen's club-ish with an effort on the beer front.
    Merchants, is that the one with an arched interior at the rear? A number of pumps but not many active on my visit.
    White Cross, had a good range of beers and did a cracking haddock and chips, no complaint there. Not very pubby and some inappropriate furniture, but no problem returning.
    Can't remember which the other visited pub was...

Bobbin had an ok line up, and a dartboard, but had some ear bleeding heavy metal screeching screaming sh1te so consistently abusing us that we had one pint and fled. Only the barmaid and one fella at the bar, I think I see why.
    Sun, good number of pumps without a stand out choice for me (hoppy) or RJ (malty). Dark/dingy in the bar area which was showing the England game without volume and the screen virtually invisible behind the tactical hanging lights obliterating it.
    Borough, yes, gentlemen's club-ish with an effort on the beer front.
    Merchants, is that the one with an arched interior at the rear? A number of pumps but not many active on my visit.
    White Cross, had a good range of beers and did a cracking haddock and chips, no complaint there. Not very pubby and some inappropriate furniture, but no problem returning.
    Can't remember which the other visited pub was...
    You really do seem to have been unlucky. When I was last in the Bobbin it was pretty quiet, with maybe a dozen or so other drinkers - just the opposite of your experience.

The Sun usually has three Lancaster beers on, and the Red and the Black are both malty. It would be amazing if none of the guests were hoppy - maybe it was too dark for you to see the pumps?

The Merchants had eight hand pumps last Saturday when I was there - one of them went off when I asked for a half - you're not the only unlucky one - but that still left seven beers to choose from. Four of them at the darker end of the beer spectrum, which makes a pleasant change (for me).

For a "beer exhibition" type pub, I find the White Cross to be quite publike - but perhaps it depends which part you find yourself in. We were impressed with the beer range and the enthusiastic bar manager.

I haven't been in the Borough for a few years - it used to be a club, of course, but is now publike enough to be worth a visit, I reckon.
    Come On You Hatters!

I'm sticking my oar in here as I've visited Lancaster twice in the last year or so. I would rate it as a good worthwhile place to go but not in the same league as Derby, Sheffield, Huddersfield or a train ride (with stops, obviously!) between Shrewsbury and Wolverhampton. The (probably) one remaining Spoons is nothing special at all. The only problem I had was that a couple of pubs were very crowded on a Friday evening, I think about 7 or 8 o' clock but that could happen anywhere. It probably helps being fairly compact but not completely flat.