Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Ideas Needed for Themed Pub Crawls

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Not themed, as such, but I've always intended taking (but not yet done so) the Watercress Line from Alton to New Alresford, then bussing it down to Cheriton. From there, you could re-trace your route or take bus to Winchester then, if staying over, go on to Southampton.

Alton: Railway Arms, Eight Bells, bus to Selborne (~14mins)
    Selborne: Selborne Arms, rtn bus to Alton, Watercress line to New Alresford
    Alresford: Maybe The Bell?, Option of The Ship (Bishops Sutton, 1.3m), bus to Cheriton
    Cheriton: Flowerpots Inn, Hinton Arms, bus to Winchester
    Winchester: (from memory) Black Boy, St James' Tavern, Hyde Tavern, maybe Fulflood & Wykeham Arms, train to S'ton
    Southampton: Wellington Arms, Guide Dog, Waterloo Arms, Red Lion, maybe Duke of Wellington, South Western (next to St Denys station), transport to... Betty Ford clinic

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

We did the 3 DarkStar owned pubs last year, plus selected neighbours - was easy in a day, but from a London start-point.

Shoreham-by-Sea: Duke of Wellington, added Lazy Toad & Buckingham Arms, train to Fishersgate
    Fishersgate (/Portslade): Stanley Arms, back to train for Brighton
    Brighton: Evening Star, Lord Nelson, many other options if the crawl is reversed (started in Lindfield), such as Great Eastern, Basketmakers, Lion & Lobster... train to Lindfield
    Lindfield: Stand Up Inn, Red Lion

Other options may be more jumps on/off along south coast, & remember it's only 15mins Brighton to Lewes (where Gardeners is essential).

Nearer to you, Shrewsbury (as a whole) is a big tm target, along with missions from there on the request-stop line to Wrenbury for Bhurtpore Inn, Aston, & Railway Inn, Yorton.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Wow! That's an odd idea from a recent visitor daaarn 'ere who managed a naff pint even in t'Market Porter (which, as I mentioned in Gill's thread, can sometimes be the case these days).
    Now, now 't/m', less of your Manc spleen. I always feel like Paul Whitehouse's character 'Unlucky Alf' whenever I come to London, I never seem to get it qute right! Regarding the Circle Line crawl, I had two stabs at student life, in London, in the eighties and it was always held up to be the holy grail. Never quite managed it though, in my time in the smoke.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Pub crawls and various forms of transport do go together very well, I've done bus routes, trains, and trams, still got tube lines, canal barges, and bicycles to go.
    One of our group lives on a canal boat so to do it by narrowboat would just be a, er, boatman's holiday for him .... unless we can find someone else to steer the boat. Other passenger boats are a possibility I suppose - we looked at Bristol Harbour but it's probably just as easy to walk around

Circle line we have considered before - the world is your Oyster-card. We opted for the Thames Clippers on that occasion instead

Bikes - that's quite energetic for a day on the beer

I think I'll look at some of the metro systems to see how they fit in with the GBG.

Thanks for your suggestions!
    Waes hael!

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

The next crazy idea for me is the next Bank Holiday when London Midland trains are doing a £10 go anywhere deal. I’m thinking of doing a pub crawl taking in as many counties as possible. If I get the first train North I reckon I can do five or six maybe more. It does depend on me catching the 5:53 train out of Watford and the JDW’s in Milton Keynes and Rugby opening on time. From there to Birmingham and Worcester, maybe Gloucester or Ledbury then Northampton and Herts on the way back. Haven’t decided for definite that I’m going to embark on this yet but hoping that a mate may join me if I do.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    The next crazy idea for me is the next Bank Holiday when London Midland trains are doing a £10 go anywhere deal.
    I wish people wouldn't keep telling me about these deals - it makes me go scurrying to my diary every time!

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

If I remember right, the London Midland "go anywhere for £10" deal is just for 1 week from the Bank Holiday to about 6 June.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    If I remember right, the London Midland "go anywhere for £10" deal is just for 1 week from the Bank Holiday to about 6 June.
    It is - I'm currently piecing together various Birmingham pubs for a potential Bank Holiday Monday trip!