Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trans-Pennine Real Ale Trail

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Must admit I rather like the idea of coming up with some alternative ale trails, now that the knuckle draggers are spoiling the original. Have you tried the Red Rooster in Brighouse? It's one of those pubs on my 'to do' list that I never seem to get round to visiting. Has a really good reputation. Have to agree that the Day Rover's brilliant value, even better when two adults (even without kids) can buy a family version!
    That was the first time I'd been to Brighouse (it's not the easiest place to get to from Leeds) so didn't manage it - would need a map I think! I think next time I might go a bit further and take in Hebden Bridge and Todmorden (Mytholmroyd too?)

I'm moving to Manchester in June and I think the Greater Manchester Rover may throw up some interesting possibilities...

The other option is a bus crawl, but more of an issue with reliability of services with that one.

"I’d do the Ale Trail again for sure but only on a weekday"
    http://allgatesbrewery.com/allgates-...ail-ale-trail/
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    "I’d do the Ale Trail again for sure but only on a weekday"
    http://allgatesbrewery.com/allgates-...ail-ale-trail/
    This trail featured during last nights bbc2 programme The Railway - Keeping Britain on Track http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01qsk0j . Every sympathy with the local residents/passengers it looks like hell
    James May as Kapitan Muller would say "Your name will also go on the list!"

Teetotal

Default Transpennine Ale Trail - Forget it - Do Something else

The Transpennine Ale-Trail is HELL . The annoying underbelly of our stag-do culture has well and truly ruined things for those of us who are mature with drink and just want a nice day out with mates. You just can't do this on this trail. It's so ridiculous now that Northern Rail has a response team sometimes visible sometimes undercover monitoring Slaithwaite and Marsden. British Transport Police were out last Saturday walking people off the trains and down the streets to the pubs (going beyond their jurisdiction in doing so). Everything is served in plastic glasses (a minor thing I know but you just feel like a brat at some tacky teenage music festival). They even have street marshals (again sometimes undercover taking photographs if these idiots urinate in public or whatever which they then phone BTP who arrest/caution them). Arrests and cautions at these small villages have gone through the roof. Saw one idiot being cautioned at the station when I was on it. Still, I can't blame the people who live in these villages, I wouldn't want groups of these idiots trespassing and urinating in my garden. To be really honest this trail, although well-established and having lots of good points about it, really doesn't deserve all the attention it seems to get. There are plenty of other trails out there. Apparently, there has been a real backlash from residents. It felt awkward stood outside the Commercial in Slaithwaite and over hearing a couple of local guys walk past who stated they would go in but weren't going to bother because it was just too crowded. As a reasonable man and my 2 other mates being pretty decent guys I had to admit we did feel that the Transpennine Ale-Trail has damaged to some extent the local logistics on a Saturday. Locals seem to either stay at home or go elsewhere.
    Then there are the trains.............
    What can I say about that. If you are up for being crammed in a two-carriage train full of idiots, often standing with delays as people cram off and on, then enjoy the trail. Saw two fights break out (arrhhhhh, now I see why they have plastic glasses!) and almost got hit! Me and mates were crammed in next to these idiots and that's the problem, you can't choose who you go on the trail with. The mix of people on it have such low standards that I almost pity them.
    Won't be doing this again. EVER. Want to do something that isn't policed and under scrutiny. What I'm so angry about is the fact that these idiots have stolen the ale-trail right from under our very noses. I used to this with mates 3 years ago before all this nonsense - my god how things can deteriorate.

MY ADVICE - SEEK OUT ANOTHER TRAIL THAT HASN'T BEEN KIDNAPPED.

http://aletrailderailed.blogspot.co....c-glasses.html

welcome Pete alas a sad reflection on modern Britain

I did a very different real ale trail of my own devising this week. Starting from Sheffield (as you might expect), we headed first for Wakefield so that we could buy the excellent value Metro Family - children not compulsory - Day Rover. (I see from an early post in this thread that it used to be £8.80 for two people but is now £11.) We then proceeded to Leeds where we had time for a swift pint before catching the 10.49 to Settle. We had to buy an extra ticket for the extra bit from the West Yorkshire boundary, of course. Destination was the excellent The Talbot Arms, but we also called in at Thirteen Cafe Bar.

The 13.32 out of Settle took us to Keighley where we enjoyed the Boltmakers Arms and were less impressed with The Cricketers Arms. (Original plan had been to walk or catch a bus from Steeton & Silsden station to The Kings Arms at Silsden, but a change in the train timetable ruled this out.)

Next stop was Saltaire, where we witnessed some very aggressive policing of a couple of sleeping drunks (it was only 3.30pm!) at The Victoria before popping across the road to Fanny's Ale and Cider House. The next train took us into Bradford where we went to The Sparrow, which was not really my cup of tea, and The Shoulder Of Mutton, which was just what the doctor ordered (sorry about the cliches).

We had to hurry to catch the train to Huddersfield, but I have to say I found the beer selection at The Grove much too bitter and not to my taste. I got talking to a couple of drinkers at the bar, one of whom soon found the Pubs Galore site on his smart phone and I'm pleased to report that he was very impressed with it.

Next stop was Wakefield where we were attracted by the fantastic tiled facade of the Elephant & Castle and decided to pop in for a half even though it wasn't a scheduled stop - and were glad we did. Final stop of the day was The Bull and Fairhouse, where we had a couple of unfortunate beers, one of which required changing because it had gone off, the other just on its last legs.

On returning to Sheffield we decided to have a swift half in The Old Queens Head, partly because it has had a recent refurbishment, which we wanted to check out, but mostly just to extinguish the memory of that last beer in Wakefield.

On reflection, the inclusion of the Talbot in Settle was just a bit too much, requiring a very early start and making the train journey more complex and expensive than it needed to be. A better alternative might have been to just confine ourselves to West Yorkshire, stopping in Keighley a bit longer, perhaps, or making The Turkey Inn the day's destination. Hmm, I feel another pub crawl coming on....
    Come On You Hatters!

That's a fine days drinking and all in the West Riding.

The Kings Arms is a fine pub but just too much of a hike from the station to fit in a tight schedule.

"On Saturdays, from noon until 8pm, participating pubs will not be serving".

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/local...6081-33388598/

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/G...n-to-ban-lager
    Last edited by hondo; 31-05-2013 at 13:40.

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    "On Saturdays, from noon until 8pm, participating pubs will not be serving".

Here's the poster at Leeds Station

Attachment 952