Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trans-Pennine Real Ale Trail

Teetotal

One of my favourite pubs on the trail is The Britannia at Mossley but only seems to open late in the afternoon. I think a pub should be nominated for the Ashton Under Lyne area for real ale drinkers to visit. My vote would go to The Witchwood which serves about 4 real ales all for £2.20 the last time i went in they had Brew dog and inferno by Oakhams. They always have Joseph Holts on which is the only place you can get it in Ashton Under lyne centre.The staff are always willing to let you sample the beer. On the cider front they had Janets jungle juice on. I believe they are having a beer festival on at the end of August which i found out on this forum http://www.thewitchwood.net/forum/index.php?topic=582.0

Teetotal

Andy - I did the same a fortnight ago, and there have been some changes. The Kings Head at Huddersfield might be better known to some as the pre-name-change Station Tavern ; fine range of beers in there, i always prefer that to the HoS. At Slaithwaite, the Swan and the Commercial are no longer under the same owners apparently - the Swan has changed hands recently ( around Xmas, landlord said ), is now a proper Free House ( hurrah ! ) and has already managed to bag itself a Casque Marque award, the only one in the village - i can see why its the one in the GBG, awesome beer on the day i went - and proper pork pies. Landlord at the Commercial has done a runner, they say. Whitlocks is a Leeds legend, but don't overlook the old Tetley brewery tap, The Adelphi - it's only five minutes walk from good old Leeds station, and every step downhill for those who've stayed slightly too long at The WR Refreshment Rooms !

DD - thanks for the update. It was a one-off crawl but I will bear the info in mind if we plan a repeat.

Sheffield tomorrow!
    Waes hael!

Teetotal

Default Real ale trail resident Slawit

When the trail first started it was great fun and a boost for the villages and pubs en route but now it seems to be much more popular and rather that real ale buffs the people it seems to know attract are more like a stag week end crowd.
    The trains are over crowded with blokes mainly dressed in all manner of hilarious costumes ( Oh how we laugh) who have drunk more than they can handle, the noise and language bad the train stinks like a beery fart and they seem to think its quite ok to piss anywhere they want the local stations on Sunday morning are lined with empty beer glasses and bottles etc, broken glass all over the platforms Im not kidding its really bad.
    In Marsden last week end my daughter saw about 3 blokes peeing against someone house when one of their mates shouted something he casualy threw a bottle at him which smashed all over the pavement much to the amusement of his mates.
    Its now such fun that the Police have to travel on the trains to keep the morons in order.A lot of local people who welcomed it initially are really fed up with it now, I just thought I would share that opinion with you, and again the sad thing is the majority of people are actually ok I have had some good interesting chats . G

Teetotal

Default The Swan, Marsden

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    Glad you found it useful and thanks for your feedback - it's what we do it for! I've posted some other crawls in this category and I'm always open to suggestions for new themes.

I should have added that I recall the 0.3 mile walk back to Marsden station from the Riverhead Brewery Tap is a steep uphill hike between the Railway pub and The Swan, just in case you have an aversion to hill climbing.
    The Swan is a Thwaites house selling Wainwright's and Lancaster Bomber, both beers being absolutely outstanding. The Wainwrights in particular was a superb pint, my friends and I voting it to be the best beer we had all day. Do yourself a favour and make sure you visit this pub, you actually pass it on the way to the Riverhead

Default "Ale trail revellers' rail warning"

Quote Originally Posted by bammo View Post
    When the trail first started it was great fun and a boost for the villages and pubs en route but now it seems to be much more popular and rather that real ale buffs the people it seems to know attract are more like a stag week end crowd.
    The trains are over crowded with blokes mainly dressed in all manner of hilarious costumes ( Oh how we laugh) who have drunk more than they can handle, the noise and language bad the train stinks like a beery fart and they seem to think its quite ok to piss anywhere they want the local stations on Sunday morning are lined with empty beer glasses and bottles etc, broken glass all over the platforms Im not kidding its really bad.
    In Marsden last week end my daughter saw about 3 blokes peeing against someone house when one of their mates shouted something he casualy threw a bottle at him which smashed all over the pavement much to the amusement of his mates.
    Its now such fun that the Police have to travel on the trains to keep the morons in order.A lot of local people who welcomed it initially are really fed up with it now, I just thought I would share that opinion with you, and again the sad thing is the majority of people are actually ok I have had some good interesting chats . G
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-16069913

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

It's funny you should highlight this 'rp', as I had a drink with a friend on Sunday who told me about his group's experience on Sat 26th Nov. They visited several stops and in some of the pubs they were immediately asked if they were doing the trail, as they approached the bar. On answering 'yes' they were automatically given plastic glasses, the bar staff saying that's what they'd been told to do. Rather draconian for three men in their late forties. It would seem the backlash has well and truly begun.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Its a real shame when the nob heads take over and spoil what is a good day out for decent folk. It now appears that they have caused one of our local charity beer walks to be canceled due to their antics.

http://www.beerwalk.co.uk/
    From the home of the kebab of doom

This Space For Hire

Living in Leeds I now mostly avoid this ale trail, instead choosing to do the northern line variant. You'll need a little more time and be willing to walk a little but it is much more interesting.

From Leeds, head to Shipley for the Sir Norman Rae Wetherspoons. There were about 8 or 9 decent ales on when I was there around 3 weeks ago. Back on the train to Bradford Forster Square, and head to the Sparrow. Not the largest selection on, but well kept and usually some interesting craft beer on as well. If you have a bit of time, just around the corner is the Corn Dolly. There's then a 10 minute walk to the other Bradford station, Interchange. Head into Halifax and Dirty Dicks which is straight up the hill. You can roll down the hill back to the station for the train to Sowerby Bridge and the Jubilee Refreshment Rooms - bang on the station. There's then Brighouse on the way to Huddersfield, and about 5 mins walk into town is the Old Ship Inn and right next door the The Richard Oaster (JDW). You can then head to Huddersfield and avoiding the real rail ale trailers head to the Sportsman around the corner or if there's anything left in your legs head over to the Grove or Rat and Ratchet. The fast Transpennine Express train back to Leeds doesn't get many trailers on it so is safe to catch. All doable with about 8 or 9 trains, for less than £1 per train.

I'm on the lookout for a similar jaunt to either Sheffield or York but I don't think anything surpasses the West Yorkshire Day Rover for number of towns with good pubs you can get to in one day.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    Living in Leeds I now mostly avoid this ale trail, instead choosing to do the northern line variant. You'll need a little more time and be willing to walk a little but it is much more interesting.

There's then Brighouse on the way to Huddersfield, and about 5 mins walk into town is the Old Ship Inn and right next door the The Richard Oaster (JDW)

I don't think anything surpasses the West Yorkshire Day Rover for number of towns with good pubs you can get to in one day.
    Must admit I rather like the idea of coming up with some alternative ale trails, now that the knuckle draggers are spoiling the original. Have you tried the Red Rooster in Brighouse? It's one of those pubs on my 'to do' list that I never seem to get round to visiting. Has a really good reputation. Have to agree that the Day Rover's brilliant value, even better when two adults (even without kids) can buy a family version!
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.