Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Shropshire

Default Shropshire

We're off to Shropshire for our annual hols next weekend:any suggestions as to beers and pubs-I've come across Salopian (I think), but am pretty hazy as to the rest though am intrigued by the resurrected Joules. We'll be based in the south of the county, and will probably cross over into Herefordshire.I've bookmarked several rural/walking pubs,and the parlour pub in Ludlow.Cheers W
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    We're off to Shropshire for our annual hols next weekend:any suggestions as to beers and pubs-I've come across Salopian (I think), but am pretty hazy as to the rest though am intrigued by the resurrected Joules. We'll be based in the south of the county, and will probably cross over into Herefordshire.I've bookmarked several rural/walking pubs,and the parlour pub in Ludlow.Cheers W
    If you are in the Shropshire / Herefordshire border area a trip to the Sun Inn is almost mandatory... Further north, there are some excellent pubs (and a couple of small breweries) in Bishops Castle. Oggwyn would probably be the best bet for recommendations in the more northern parts, and I think Will and Ray have both travelled quite widely across the area going by reviews and photographs I've seen. However, there are plenty of unreviewed pubs in the remoter districts and pot luck should net you a few gems as the Welsh Marches is that kind of territory.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

I love Salopian beers. I don't think I've had a duff one from them yet. Also, look out for Hobsons Mild, which I seem to remember is pretty good. There's also another good one from Hobsons, but unfortunately I can't remember its name. Hope you have a good time.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Also, look out for Hobsons Mild, which I seem to remember is pretty good. There's also another good one from Hobsons, but unfortunately I can't remember its name.
    Twisted Spire (3.6%) and Town Crier (4.5%) are the ones I've normally encountered, but the Champion Mild (3.2%) is certainly good for its strength.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

[QUOTE=Wittenden;83737] though am intrigued by the resurrected Joules. /QUOTE]

You may be disappointed.From the dim distant past I can remember Joules ales brewed in Stone as something worth seeking out,but sad to say this revival from Market Drayton has not IMHO captured the essence of the original brews.Far too malty ,and quite hop lite is not a style I enjoy although that's a personal thing.However Joules pubs are worth visiting ,and are invariably well appointed and interesting so a bit of a curates egg.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    I think Will and Ray have both travelled quite widely across the area going by reviews and photographs I've seen.

Not for a couple of years. I like Bishops Castle and the Three Tuns beers can often be found elsewhere. The two pubs in Clun are ok, but could be better. (The Sun Inn is the better of the two, now that it has Three Tuns ales on.) A better one, and Ray liked it too when he reviewed it, is the Crown Inn in Clunton, just down the valley. I've always wanted to try the Anchor Inn, at the top of the Clun valley. Hope you can arrange to be there during opening hours, and I look forward to reading a review.
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 10-10-2016 at 18:08.
    Come On You Hatters!

Forgot to mention - if you get as far as the Long Mynd, there's a nice pub at Ratlinghope called The Bridges, which I haven't been to since I started doing photos and reviews. It is now apparently also owned by Three Tuns Brewery.
    Come On You Hatters!

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

South Shropshire is a wonderful place plenty of good pubs and breweries .

Ludlow brewery is pretty good and their Tap , the Railway Shed is worth a visit , no really great pubs in Ludlow but a couple of half decent ones , The Blue Boar is OK and the Nelson just out of town used to be worth a visit , strangley i quite like the old Globe now called Chaing Thai , the best pub used to be the Church and may be reopen when you visit.

Most of the pubs along the Clun Valley are worth a visit , avoid Craven Arms at weekend nights , its known locally as Dodge City , north of Craven Arms on the Bridgnorth road are the Sun , home of Corvedale Brewery and the Swan are decent pubs .

I have heard good reports of the Tally Ho in Boulden its about 8 miles from Ludlow in the middle of nowhere , the Plough at Wistansow is the Woods Brewery tap .

As Rpadam says the Sun is a must do , its now owned by Hobsons , the Bridges as pointed out by Sheffield Hatter is decent , by the way Rattlinghope is pronounced Ratchup in the local dialect .

Other breweries you will probally see are Six Bells , OK but all seem to taste similar , Clun , the IPA is good , Wye Valley , all pretty good , Wrekin , not as good now the breweries moved from Ironbridge and Rowton , OK if nothing special .

Agree with BF about Joules the pubs are great the beer a bit bland , the standard brew is similar to Bass , they have just finished doing up the Rose and Crown in Ludlow .
    Last edited by Oggwyn Trench; 10-10-2016 at 19:35.
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

A decent website about Shropshire pubs and Breweries , its a bit clunky to use and some of the pub info is out of date , but the brewery section is pretty good , http://www.pubsurvey.co.uk/
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Thanks for the leads-found the area very characterful;pub reviews to follow, though as we are pretty greedy and on holiday they will refer to more foodie haunts than is usual.I was very impressed with Hobsons, though I didn't see any mild. I drew a complete blank with Salopian, which was disappointing,however I've a few bottles in my stash.The beer of the week, and in the running for BOTY,came from out of area:the wonders of the beer wholesale market.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.