Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 23 May 2010)

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

After a disappointing start to the week,I appreciated my BOTW which was Hop Back Summer Lightning in Deacons,Salisbury and a fine way to top off a pub crawl.On a hot Saturday afternoon,glad to report that Summer Lightning was as refreshing as ever.A finished pint always demands another...

Poor end to the week by spending Saturday night in Thirsk. This town must have one of the worst selections of real ale available anywhere in Yorkshire. John Smiths Cask, Tetleys Bitter, Black Sheep bitter and one solitary offering of Copper Dragon Golden Pippin. If it wasn't for the JDW which still only offered the not very interesting selection of Hobgoblin, Old Hookey and Daleside Blonde it would have been a disaster.

By the way OB, is Thirsk the obese women capital of Yorkshire? Or was it just that they were all wearing crop tops and shorts and bulging out of them in all directions.

Is it also the ignorant, obnoxious, coach touring pensioner capital, or where we just unlucky?

Anyway, back to beer of the week.

I think it's going to have to be Northern Brewery's Jewel tried in the Regal Moon in Rochdale on Friday night.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

I enjoyed a good selection of mild this week thanks to the festival at the Hope in Carshalton. The Rother Valley Smild and Ramsbury Hells Highway were both a little unusual yet very tasty, but it's hard to look past the excellent Dark Star Victorian Ruby Mild for my BOTW. Very drinkable at 6% and a great way to round off the festival.

The only other credible contender this week was the Brew Dog Punk IPA, which went down very well in the sun at the Evening Star in Brighton this weekend.

17 pints this week, over a 3-day period.

Marston's Merry Monk x 4
    Morgan's Spiced Rum (Single Measure) x 1
    Crouch Vale Brewers Gold x 1
    Saltaire Raspberry Blonde x 2
    Crouch Vale Fountain Apollo x 1
    Marble Chocolate x 1
    Dunhan Massey Choc Cherry Mild x 1
    Nethergate Brewery Red Poll x 1
    Titanic White Star x 1
    Bombardier x 1
    Sharps Doombar x 4

BOTW: Marston's Merry Munk

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    This town must have one of the worst selections of real ale available anywhere in Yorkshire.
    Rob you may want to pay a visit to Goole ,which I can assure you was dire.Most pubs dont stock real ale and those that do leave a lot to be desired.My pint of draught Cobra in the curry house was the most acceptable drink I supped all evening

I wont even mention the young and not so young ladies who "hang out" in the pubs

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

After a very promising start on Wednesday night, I developed a heavy summer cold which put the kibosh on tasting anything else this week. Therefore, my BOTW is Crouch Vale 'Brewer's Gold, with an honourable mention to George Wright's 'Black Swan Mild'.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Rob you may want to pay a visit to Goole ,which I can assure you was dire.Most pubs dont stock real ale and those that do leave a lot to be desired.My pint of draught Cobra in the curry house was the most acceptable drink I supped all evening

I wont even mention the young and not so young ladies who "hang out" in the pubs
    I think I mentioned on another thread that we came off the tidal Trent at Goole on a narrowboat a few years ago. We stopped for lunch in Goole and that was the last time I visited. Doesn't sound like I've missed much since.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

By the way OB, is Thirsk the obese women capital of Yorkshire? Or was it just that they were all wearing crop tops and shorts and bulging out of them in all directions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Rob you may want to pay a visit to Goole ,which I can assure you was dire
    I think the unwritten rule is based on inverse proportion. The larger and lumpier the lass, the less their clothes actually cover up. I've just got back from the Asda run and there was a huge woman there wearing linen effect trousers and a thong. The traumatic effect was similar to looking at a large truckle of cheddar with its own cheese wire.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    I think the unwritten rule is based on inverse proportion. The larger and lumpier the lass, the less their clothes actually cover up. I've just got back from the Asda run and there was a huge woman there wearing linen effect trousers and a thong. The traumatic effect was similar to looking at a large truckle of cheddar with its own cheese wire.
    These are not welcome images prior to lunch.

This town must have one of the worst selections of real ale available anywhere in Yorkshire. John Smiths Cask, Tetleys Bitter, Black Sheep bitter and one solitary offering of Copper Dragon Golden Pippin. If it wasn't for the JDW which still only offered the not very interesting selection of Hobgoblin, Old Hookey and Daleside Blonde it would have been a disaster.

Is it also the ignorant, obnoxious, coach touring pensioner capital, or where we just unlucky?
    You have my sympathy, it's dreadful isn't it? As you say almost wall to wall Smiths Cask . Other than the JDW, the Frankland is a better pub and maybe the Blacksmiths is worth while but forget the rest except for curiosity value. The Black Lion is allegedly "good for food" but 'tain't a pub. It's Herriottisis that brings out the wrinklies, the town is also a good toilet stop between the Moors and the A1. I'd rather not comment on the women especially as my wife works with some of them.

Did you manage the "Royal" - once seen never forgot!