Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 23 May 2010)

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    doing a crawl by train in Sherborne,Gillingham,Tisbury and Salisbury this Saturday lunchtime
    I was just about to opine that that's a heck of a lot of ground to cover on a Sat lunchtime!!, then realised that it's the Gillingham on that same Dorset line, and not the one where you may have been looking for the Man of Kent. Dear oh dear, I need beer.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I was just about to opine that that's a heck of a lot of ground to cover on a Sat lunchtime!!, then realised that it's the Gillingham on that same Dorset line, and not the one where you may have been looking for the Man of Kent. Dear oh dear, I need beer.
    If you ever want to upset anyone from Dorset simply pronounce their Gillingham the same as Kent's Gillingham. Gets them mad every time! I've tried it.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    If you ever want to upset anyone from Dorset simply pronounce their Gillingham the same as Kent's Gillingham. Gets them mad every time! I've tried it.
    Thanks for the advice,I'll make sure I've been served a pint and taken a snap of The Phoenix before enquiring about any connections with the Jewel of the Medway

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

This week has been a bit of a blur to be honest which is perhaps not surprising given the beers I have encountered. The stars being, Jaipur IPA at 5.9%, Pale Rider 5.2% (?), Brewdog Punk IPA 6% and then yesterday after a day on Ringwood Fortyniner 4.9% I found the shockingly tasty Brewdog Hardcore IPA at 9.2% . Well you can’t let a beer like that pass by without trying one can you

Obviously the week is not over yet but I suspect I’ll be picking from the above.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Thanks to the high quality of beer in Edinburgh (5 pints of which I have just finished) I feel enthused to nominate again this week - my nomination is the Orkney's Dark Island.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Well after an 8 pub tour around Shrewsbury on Saturday afternoon , lots of good beer and plenty of attractive young ladies not wearing a lot , i am going to go for Shropshire Brewerys Salop Gold , just right for a nice summer afternoon
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Think my beer of the weeks is going to have to go to the nice bottle of Snecklifter I tried last night which edges out the Bristol Stout I had earlier in the week.

Rudgate Ruby Mild in the Salehurst halt, East Sussex. Not really my idea of a MILD, but a classic nonetheless.

After last weeks drought, this week has been a monsoon. 2 pubs long on the radar finally chalked off and some seriously good ales. The Dark Star Hophead at the Evening Star in Brighton would normally win without being questioned but there is a likelihood that it will pop up somewhere else so I’ll save that one for a rainy day. Several of the Old Fountain Festival beers were worthy of a mention with the Saltaire Raspberry Blonde just pipping the Dunham Massey Choc Cherry Mild on the night but everything was eclipsed on Friday with my first trip to the Deptford Dog & Bell for a couple of years. With the trains up the spout I was forced to walk from New Cross to Greenwich and then back to Deptford on a baking hot evening. The Nethergate Lemon Head was the perfect antidote, a refreshing burst of ginger and lemon perfectly poured in a super pub by a real Landlord.

Lots of pubs but very little outstanding beer, BOTW for me the ever reliable Acorn Barnsley Bitter drunk in
    the equally reliable Blind Jacks in Knaresborough.