Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southampton

Default Southampton

I can’t make the November crawl due to work commitments so I decided to console myself with a Southampton weekender in November. I have booked myself into the Travelodge a stone’s throw from the Guide Dog which has been on my must visit list for a number of years.

I’ve not been to Southampton before so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I can get a Plusbus ticket so I don’t mind a bit of travelling out of town (not too far mind!)

WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Years since I've been there but it was a dead loss even then and seems to got worse with some classics now ruined. So apart from getting a train to Winchester or Salisbury you should try this one South Western Arms . The Dolphin Inn is the other side of the railway and a main road and is meant to be good. A couple of micros are Bookshop Alehouse and The Butcher's Hook which is in Bitterne. All are a shortish walk or for Bitterne a longer walk or bus ride away. Down by the Town Quay The Dancing Man looks good as it's a brewery tap but the place was the Maritime Museum when I was last drinking in Southampton and Platform Tavern might be worth looking at too as it's nearly next door, those are probably a bus ride.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Years since I've been there but it was a dead loss even then and seems to got worse with some classics now ruined. So apart from getting a train to Winchester or Salisbury you should try this one South Western Arms . The Dolphin Inn is the other side of the railway and a main road and is meant to be good. A couple of micros are Bookshop Alehouse and The Butcher's Hook which is in Bitterne. All are a shortish walk or for Bitterne a longer walk or bus ride away. Down by the Town Quay The Dancing Man looks good as it's a brewery tap but the place was the Maritime Museum when I was last drinking in Southampton and Platform Tavern might be worth looking at too as it's nearly next door, those are probably a bus ride.
    Not done the Dolphin or Butchers Hook ,but OB is spot on with the rest, all worth a good look.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

A couple of new micros have opened recently - neither are in central locations but they might still be worth checking out:

Caskaway and Olaf's Tun

Sadler’s Brewhouse and Barbecue also sounds pretty good.

There last year.

Enjoyed The Rockstone just around the corner from The Guide Dog and The Waterloo Arms just out of the town centre.

If you're interested in buying a take out or two, Bitter Virtue is one of the best beer shops I've been to. A wide and interesting selection and friendly, knowledgable owners.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I really like the Wellington, a double header with the Waterloo (highlighted by TP above), the Red Lion should be on-map for historical interest and the Duke of Wellington is worth a look in. I note none of my Southampton list seem to have been picked up by the migration tool, but my thoughts can be viewed, ahem, elsewhere.

Thanks guys, I'll have a look at these places this afternoon to see if I can base a crawl around them.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Not been for a couple of years but with several new suggestions above, and regular cheap travel in that direction with megatrain (sometimes £1), I think I need to pop back myself!
    Perhaps not on match day, when the Guide Dog was rammed.

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    Thanks guys, I'll have a look at these places this afternoon to see if I can base a crawl around them.
    I actually managed a 10 pub crawl of Soton a few years back on foot - the trick is to start at St Denys station and work back down the hill towards the centre. Not the other way round!

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    I actually managed a 10 pub crawl of Soton a few years back on foot - the trick is to start at St Denys station and work back down the hill towards the centre. Not the other way round!
    Now that is very handy to know.