Visit the a swift one site

As a beer enthusiast, I have been drinking in most parts of Kirklees and Calderdale, but yesterday I broke my duck in visiting a pub I had never previously visited, in a town which I have rarely visited. It all resulted from a chat in a pub a while ago (like all good things do!).

The Rose and Crown is in Cleckheaton, (centrally sited in Westgate) and my reason for visiting was that it is a brew pub - and one that had managed to slip under my radar.

Externally it boasts that it is 17th century pub, and internally it does little to dispel that with flagged floors and lowish ceilings. I assume it has gone through periods of renovation though. There seems to be an emphasis on food, especially on a Sunday, but the bar boasted around half a dozen draught beers, and much to my delight, two (I think,I will explain) from the in house brewery.

The Whitechapel brewery is situated at the rear of the pub across a small yard, and a list on the brewery wall is a testament to the brewery output. I believe, although I cannot confirm, that this now the site of the Haworth Steam Brewery as well. There was one of each brewery's beer on the bar. The latter slightly darker and more traditional but both very drinkable. And at £2.60 a pint - a bargain.

The pub is open 12 noon daily (I am unsure about Monday and Tuesday though) and it promises that its own brewery beers will always be available there. It is just as well because I have never seen the Whitechapel beers anywhere else. The food menu looks excellent and there are plenty of bus links to Cleckheaton, with a bus stop just outside the pub.

There is also a beer festival promised towards the end of October. I will certainly be there.

More...