Ads not shown when logged in
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Autumn/Winter PuG Crawl 2016 ?

One to add to the crawl.

Mallinsons Brewery Tap called The Corner opens tomorrow.

http://www.examiner.co.uk/whats-on/f...urday-11877616
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    One to add to the crawl.

Bugger! Was hoping to get the scoop on that one. Well done, ROB.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    One to add to the crawl.

So that looks like:-

meet at Kings Head @Noon (Cherry Tree for early arrivals)
    Sportsman
    Magic Rock
    *Slubbers Arms
    Wood St
    Vulcan
    The Corner
    Rat & Ratchet
    *Star (opens 5pm)
    Grove
    Plumbers
    Head of Steam

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Kings Head @Noon (Cherry Tree for early arrivals)
    Sportsman
    Magic Rock
    *Slubbers Arms
    Wood St
    Vulcan
    The Corner
    Rat & Ratchet
    *Star (opens 5pm)
    Grove
    Plumbers
    Head of Steam
    Looking good!

Just one small fly in the ointment: I went to Huddersfield for a bit of reconnaissance last Friday and found the Slubbers Arms not open at 12:15 and 12:45. WhatPub says they are open at 12, and I haven't been able to find any other info.

I checked out a couple of possible wild cards. I would say the Northern Taps can be safely swerved - only two cask ales on, both with improvised luggage tags rather than pump clips. I had "Northern Cask", which on enquiry turned out to be Tetleys Bitter, but it was in very poor shape. The other was called "Sandstone Edge". No idea, and didn't like to ask the barman after I'd pointed out to him that Tetleys is not brewed in Leeds any more.

Warehouse looks like a student bar. I didn't go in, but it was covered in banners announcing "Freshers' Week".

Parish was ok, very quiet at the time of my 11am visit but the beer was in good condition.

Corner, Sportsman and Plumbers were all very good. I didn't go to the Magic Rock, Star, Grove, Rat & Ratchet or Head of Steam.

The Vulcan was unpromising: I had to wait for the person behind the bar to finish stocking the fridge with bottles of Stella Artois, which is never a good sign. And two of the pump clips were hand-written. But I had an excellent half of Worthington White Shield, the first time I've come across this legendary beer on hand pump, and it was only £1.25, so the pub went up in my estimation by a few notches.

The Wood Street was a bit eccentric, but an interesting choice of good beers.

I ended up at the Kings Head, which is a lot smarter than when I last visited, with an excellent beer range. If we start here, we might have to set back the times of arrival in later pubs, as it will take a while to get everyone to leave.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    The other was called "Sandstone Edge". No idea, and didn't like to ask the barman after I'd pointed out to him that Tetleys is not brewed in Leeds any more.
    It's from Sandstone Brewery in Wrexham.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Warehouse looks like a student bar. I didn't go in, but it was covered in banners announcing "Freshers' Week".
    The Warehouse was on my long list and maybe shouldn't be discounted just yet. 'oldboots' noted it had four pulls and that the beer quality was better than expected. Freshers week will have long gone when we descend in November.

Also on my long list was The Crown. Both the Als had a grumble about the pricing policy, but there are up to six real ales available. It's also very handy for the station.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Looking good!

Just one small fly in the ointment: I went to Huddersfield for a bit of reconnaissance last Friday and found the Slubbers Arms not open at 12:15 and 12:45. WhatPub says they are open at 12, and I haven't been able to find any other info.
    easy to miss out as it's on the edge of the area being further out than Magic Rock, perhaps it opens at 12 on Friday's but do we risk it?

Looking good!

The Vulcan was unpromising: I had to wait for the person behind the bar to finish stocking the fridge with bottles of Stella Artois, which is never a good sign. And two of the pump clips were hand-written. But I had an excellent half of Worthington White Shield, the first time I've come across this legendary beer on hand pump, and it was only £1.25, so the pub went up in my estimation by a few notches.
    Not one of my Huddersfield favourites and Camra has dropped it from the GBG so I would move it down to a reserve or wild card.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    The Warehouse was on my long list and maybe shouldn't be discounted just yet. 'oldboots' noted it had four pulls and that the beer quality was better than expected. Freshers week will have long gone when we descend in November.

Also on my long list was The Crown. Both the Als had a grumble about the pricing policy, but there are up to six real ales available. It's also very handy for the station.
    The Warehouse is definitely better than OK but not a must visit, the Crown I would rate lower than the Vulcan especially on choice and quality - many pumps do not a quality alehouse make - but I have a friend who swears both are excellent (I think he's swayed by the cheap food rather than the beer TBH)

I ended up at the Kings Head, which is a lot smarter than when I last visited, with an excellent beer range. If we start here, we might have to set back the times of arrival in later pubs, as it will take a while to get everyone to leave.
    We may have that trouble in a number of places, especially The Grove and Rat & Ratchet and probably the Sportsman too, so I wouldn't over-worry about wild cards and reserves unless you're set on covering as many pubs as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post

The Warehouse is definitely better than OK but not a must visit, the Crown I would rate lower than the Vulcan especially on choice and quality - many pumps do not a quality alehouse make - but I have a friend who swears both are excellent (I think he's swayed by the cheap food rather than the beer TBH)

We may have that trouble in a number of places, especially The Grove and Rat & Ratchet and probably the Sportsman too, so I wouldn't over-worry about wild cards and reserves unless you're set on covering as many pubs as possible.
    I think it's fair to say the PuG community is split between those that are predominantly beer led versus those that are pub led. Personally, I would be happy sticking with the big hitters and working my way across the pumps in a leisurely fashion. I wouldn't normally consider places such as the Crown and the Warehouse. However, as Huddersfield is not blessed with a huge number of quality venues, I mention them as possibles for the number crunchers.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Is this confirmed 18November?

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Is this confirmed 18November?
    I thought so, I've booked the day off!