Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pub Of The Month - July 2016

Default Pub Of The Month - July 2016

A pub is for life not just for Christmas

The Crown And Shuttle. Like something out of Dante's Divine Comedy by way of Hogarth. First pub where I've seen bouncers at 4.30 in the afternoon. Beer good though.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

A change from my normal ciyt/town choices,I had heard good things about this pub and in a mad moment on a Saturday morning decided to drive the 23 miles deep into the hampshire countryside for a pint, It was well worth it to find a great revitalised community pub making a real go of it. Unfortunately the camera on my phone packed in so no pics.
    Pub Of The Month is
    The Wonston Arms.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

John O'Gaunt Inn

I never associated Hungerford with decent ale until visiting this pub,it was a great evenings drinking.Mind you,it only won because I have nominated The Nags Head on a few other occasions
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Nothing to do with your pub of the month nomination, but there were three photos awaiting approval on this pub's photos page. They had been there since March, and were not in the approvals queue. Bit of a glitch, eh Dave? (If you're watching!) Hope it's a one-off.
    Come On You Hatters!

A recent visit to Beverley gave us the chance to sample some of the excellent pubs in this town, and a few in nearby towns and villages.

We both liked The Monks Walk Inn. It's a bit of a work in progress, and some of the fittings are anomolous, to say the least, but the beer is first rate and the service matches it. All the staff we encountered (and we went there all three nights of our stay) were friendly and helpful.

It was very busy on our first visit to The White Horse Inn (Nellie's), and it was daytime so we had missed the gas lighting. Catia was very impressed on our second visit, though of course the beer choice is limited (Sam Smiths).

I really liked The New Inn in Leven, though was not to Catia's taste.

We were grateful for some shelter from the only shower of the day which coincided with our visit to The Station Hotel at Patrington. The beer was good, but this was not really our sort of pub.

We both liked the micro pubs: The Old Boatshed at Withernsea, Stackhouse Bar in Hornsea and Hed'on Inn in Hedon ("head on in" - get it?).

Back in Beverley town, we were less impressed than other reviewers with our visit to The Cornerhouse: too many ordinary beers, and all the guests were pale and featured New World hops - which I know will have some of you salivating at the thought, but they just don't float our boat. And we were less impressed than on our previous visit by Chequers Micropub: the beers were too off-the-wall (Turkish Delight, anyone?) and the staff and some regulars were involved in a semi-drunken gaggle around the bar which made us feel unwelcome. We didn't even get a "good night and thank you" when we returned our glasses to the bar. Must try harder.

The Monks Walk Inn gets my vote.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Nothing to do with your pub of the month nomination, but there were three photos awaiting approval on this pub's photos page. They had been there since March, and were not in the approvals queue. Bit of a glitch, eh Dave? (If you're watching!) Hope it's a one-off.
    Graham Mason's? not a glitch, his and John McGraw's don't get on our radar.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 07-08-2016 at 09:17.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Sadly not a one-off, I've come across a number of photos awaiting approval but not in the queue, most are from the same few days in I think March or April.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Sadly not a one-off, I've come across a number of photos awaiting approval but not in the queue, most are from the same few days in I think March or April.
    As a fix, if people are minded to, it should be possible to resubmit the photographs and have these approved from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Whose photos are stuck guys?