Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: TOby Carvery Non-Pubs

Default TOby Carvery Non-Pubs

I know we've had similar debates before, and I don't want to go over old ground too much, but I think there are 2 kinds of Toby Carvery - pubs and non-pubs.

There is no doubt that pubs taken over by Toby Carvery are, well, still pubs.

But I recently came across this one Toby Carvery Aldershot which doesn't fit the description of pub in any respect. You can't and at the bar and have a drink, you can't just go in for a beer, it is purely an eatery that happens to sell alcohol with its meals.

So, perennial question, should it be listed on here?

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    I know we've had similar debates before, and I don't want to go over old ground too much, but I think there are 2 kinds of Toby Carvery - pubs and non-pubs.

There is no doubt that pubs taken over by Toby Carvery are, well, still pubs.

But I recently came across this one Toby Carvery Aldershot which doesn't fit the description of pub in any respect. You can't and at the bar and have a drink, you can't just go in for a beer, it is purely an eatery that happens to sell alcohol with its meals.
    I'll take the blame for this one, as I added it in the first place (although in mitigation I would say that the company's website turns out in hindsight to have been unclear).

So, perennial question, should it be listed on here?
    These things are difficult, because all the Toby Carveries I've visited have been what you most would describe as pub / restaurants, but definitely operating as pubs and not just restaurants. Indeed, almost all of them do real ale too, and quite a number are in traditional pub premises.

Best thing to do here (and any other examples of a similar nature), I suggest, is to show the place as closed with an explanation about the drinks situation to stop somebody else suggesting it again in the future (and if the drinks policy changes then it can always be reopened).

This has now been done.

I think that is an entirely satisfactory solution, thank you!